Catholics teach that the fear of god is a gift from the holy spirit.

Fear = Wisdom? Really?

I used to fear GOD. It was real to me and a constant source of stress. Perhaps when atheists speak of new found freedom, some of it is really the shedding of fear. Did you ever "FEAR the LORD? and if so, how did it feel to ditch that fear?

Views: 1506

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Great response Professor! What insightful phrasing! Such powerful evidence behind your words... How have I not seen the light until this very moment!

I was blind, but now I see... the absolute worthlessness of every post you make.

I must say that out of all of the bullshit you spew on this forum, this post has got to be your best work yet. At least with your pathetic attempt to diminish my post, you have finally managed to type something other than your usual "no true Scotsman" argument.

Bravo, good sir! I would tip my hat to you if I would be wearing one. This is a great step forward for your communication skills.

Keep it up! One of these days you will manage to say something worth reading. Hopefully.

How do you know God isn't real?

Pretty much the same way you know Santa Claus isn't real.

Seriously, what's the difference, other than the local culture's peer pressure to get you to believe in their specific version of a Supernatural Father?

I don't know God isn't real.  Until something happens that convinces me that there really is a deity, however, I will most likely not believe in one.  I am not entirely against being convinced, either. What I think it would take, in the face of not having direct, personally-experienced proof, is a willing suspension of disbelief.  This is just the same as what it takes to believe, say, Lord Voldemort or Snoopy the Dog is real long enough to enjoy the book/movie/comic strip in which he is featured.

I have done that when I read the Bible, just like I did it when I read The Deathly Hallows.  I am an equal-opportunity disbeliever though.  If Snoopy shows up on my porch or Voldemort flies up next to me on the highway, I will believe in them just as I would believe in a deity who manifested itself in my reality.

What I think happens to believers in a god is that the disbelief continues to be suspended and the fiction extends into real life even after the book has been put down.  That's great if someone wants to do that, but what I get annoyed with is that then many believers then want others to do the same, or fly planes into buildings because of the fiction they believe.  Believe whatever you want or need to believe, I say,  I don't care what people believe.  I care about what they do with that belief.  

What's wrong with it , excluding the imaginary aspect , Mercedes , is that it becomes the very definition of an abusive , sadomasochistic relationship . Having a fear of the one you love is not healthy , nor is it nurturing . That type of relationship is diseased , and is at the core of why religious people are at times capable of astonishing barbarism and cruelty .

But we fear God because he's all powerful. He can do anything he wants to do and we are his creation so we are subject to him. that why we should fear his wrath. but he's loving too. Jesus died for us so we can have grace and be forgiven so now we dont need to fear him anymore.

Fearing someone because they're strong enough to do whatever they want to you is pretty much a solid example of an abusive relationship.

"Do what I say or I will hurt you." How is that healthy?

You only believe that crap because it was fed to you by your parents. Did you ever stop to consider that if you were born in India, Japan, or Iran you'd be spouting different nonsense? Religion is largely based on geography. You end up believing what people around you tell you to believe.

Get some "balls" and think for yourself.

All knowledge is socially mediated, don't you think?

If you grew up elsewhere, @Unseen, you no doubt would believe something else.

Does it necessarily follow that what you believe right now is wrong?  Or that right now you're not thinking for yourself?

So, maybe only 2/3 of the world is wrong, because your 1/3 may be right?

(btw, I'm speaking of 1/3 of our world as Christian.)

Sure! 

I expect that two thirds of the world believes in "traditional" medicine instead of modern scientific medicine. 

Does that mean that modern scientific medicine isn't right?

The number of atheists worldwide is much less than a third, but I think it's perfectly legitimate to consider the possibility that the atheists might be right!

RSS

Support T|A

Think Atheist is 100% member supported

All proceeds go to keeping Think Atheist online.

Donate with Dogecoin

Members

Videos

• Add Videos

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Into life hacks? Check out LabMinions.com

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service