Catholics teach that the fear of god is a gift from the holy spirit.

Fear = Wisdom? Really?

I used to fear GOD. It was real to me and a constant source of stress. Perhaps when atheists speak of new found freedom, some of it is really the shedding of fear. Did you ever "FEAR the LORD? and if so, how did it feel to ditch that fear?

Views: 1506

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I grew up Catholic, in a Catholic elementary school taught by nuns in full habits.

I was never afraid.  I was never taught about "the fires of hell" or any such drivel.  Nor were any friends of mine, nor anyone I know.

Does it happen?  I'm sure.  In some dysfunctional families where parents have an inappropriate need to exercise "control" over their children, all sorts of nonsense or even abuse can happen. 

Just out of curiosity I googled "Fear of the Lord Catholic meaning" and the first thing that came up was this blog from the Archdiocese of Washington:

http://blog.adw.org/2010/02/what-does-it-mean-to-fear-the-lord/

It sounds sort of like that Dr. Bob fellow. ;-)

How can you suffer from a depredation of something you've lived without all your life?  And I'm happy without a god.  Is this one supposed to make me feel unhappy where I'm normally happy?

How many times does one have to whitewash crap, before it stops being crap?

Exactly....Need a lot of paint for all this.....

55 references to hell in the KJV

Matthew 13:42: "And shall cast them into a furnace of fire: there shall be wailing and gnashing of teeth."

Matt 25:41: "Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels." This passage relates to Jesus' judgment of all the world.

Mark 9:43-48: And if thy hand offend thee, cut it off: it is better for thee to enter into life maimed, than having two hands to go into hell, into the fire that never shall be quenched." The reference to fire is repeated three more times in the passage for emphasis.

Luke 16:24: "And he cried and said, Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus, that he may dip the tip of his finger in water, and cool my tongue; for I am tormented in this flame." This is a plea described as coming from an inhabitant of Hell.

Revelation 20:13-15: "...hell delivered up the dead which were in them...And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death. And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire."

Revelation 21:8: "But the fearful, and unbelieving ... shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone." Brimstone is sulphur. In order for sulphur to form a lake, it must be molten. Thus, its temperature must be at or below 444.6 °C or 832 °F.

Hell is a place of instability. It is described as a lake of fire. Hell is a place where every moment is lived in uncertainty (Matthew 5:21-23; Revelation 20:15)

Hell is a pit of darkness; totally devoid of light. It is pitch black in hell; there's nothing to distract people from their suffering, sorrow, fears, insecurities, and instability. (2 Peter 3-5)

Hell is a place of dissatisfaction. Yeshua described it as a fire; a fiery furnace. It may be a literal fire that creates a physical sensation of burning or just an overwhelming yearning for God, for love, for joy, for peace, for life that will never be. (Matthew 5:22; Matt 13:42 and 50; Matt 18:8-9; Matt 25:41; Mark 9:43, 47-48)

Hell is a place of eternal separation from God. Each person who goes to hell will be separated forever from the source of life, the heart of love, the very One for Whom they were created. Hell is a place where your soul will be destroyed (Matthew 7:23 and 10:27-29).

Where is Hell?

The truth is, no one can really say. Most likely it is in another dimension (as is heaven), but the Bible seems to indicate it is in the bowels of our own Earth. Here is what the Bible tells us about hell:

Matthew 11:23 - "Hades" - Strong's Concordance #86

(NIV) - "you will go down to [the depths]"
(KJV) - "shalt be brought down to [Hell]"
(NLT) - "you will be brought down to [the place of the dead]"
Luke 16:23 - "Hades" - Strong's Concordance #86

(NIV) - "In [Hell], where he was in torment, he looked up..."
(KJV) - "And in [Hell] he lift up his eyes, being in torments,"
(NLT) - "And his soul went to [the place of the dead],"
II Peter 2:4 - "Tartaros" - Strong's Concordance #5020

(NIV) - "but sent them to [Hell], putting them in gloomy dungeons to be held for judgment;"
(KJV) - "but cast them down into [Hell],"
(NLT) - "He threw them into [Hell], in gloomy caves and darkness until judgment day"
Amos 9:2 - "Sheol" - Strong's Concordance #7585

(NIV) - "Though they dig down to the depths of [the grave],"
(KJV) - "Though they dig into [Hell],"
(NLT) - "Even if they dig down to [the place of the dead], I will reach down and pull them up."
Numbers 16:31-33 - "Sheol" - Strong's Concordance #7585

(NIV) - "the ground under them split apart and the earth opened its mouth and swallowed them, ...They went down alive into [the grave],"

(KJV) - "the ground clave asunder that was under them. And the earth opened her mouth, and swallowed them up, ...They, ...went down alive into the [pit],"

(NLT) - "the ground suddenly split open beneath them. The earth opened up and swallowed the men, ...So they went down alive into [the grave],"

Source(s):

Why would you think you've lived without God all your life, @Strega?

Just because someone doesn't believe in dinosaurs just because they think all dinosaurs mean Barney doesn't mean that dinosaurs weren't real.  Just because they don't believe in climate change doesn't mean they aren't experiencing the effects of drought.

Just because you don't believe in God does not mean that God isn't present in your life, in your community, in your friendships, in the world.

Now, if you willingly, with malice of intent and no mitigating mental health issues choose to kidnap 3 women and chain them in your basement as sex slaves for ten years, then perhaps you will have deprived yourself of any relationship with God.  If as a man of the cloth you used your position to molest children, then perhaps you have destroyed any relationship with God within your self.  I'd think so, anyways.

That doesn't sound like you.  So probably no worries about flames and pitchforks. ;-)  It's just fine to be happy.

Just because you don't believe in God does not mean that God isn't present in your life, in your community, in your friendships, in the world.

Just because you believe in God does not mean that God is present in your life, in your community, in your friendships, in the world.

See, we can play that game too, Professor.

But one could apply the same argument about Shiva, Odin, Ahura Mazda, Zeus, or any of the other gods. 

Don't worry Professor! I got this one for you... What was that brilliant piece of enlightenment you dropped on me earlier?

Oh! I remember!

"Yawn."

No, each of those gods had different characteristics and the respective religions made different claims.   Consider them different hypotheses, perhaps.  Some have been rejected.

And that prevents them from being "in your life, in your community, in your friendships, in the world"?

"No, each of those gods had different characteristics and the respective religions made different claims.   Consider them different hypotheses, perhaps.  Some have been rejected."

Rejected? How so?

What argument can you make for dismissing any other deity /hypothesis that wouldn't apply to yours?

Don't forget Thor!  Thor is real.

Sighs - I'd be a woman of the cloth now, wouldn't I?  Oh, hang on, not in the Catholic faith - silly idea, what was I thinking!

I have, however, lived without preachings, all my life.  I don't know if you are here to test your faith, or our lack thereof.  I have no idea what points you try to make here, although that "yawn" post seems to have dismissed any traces of interest I had in your philosophy.

You appear to be trying to say that your religion is the true one, and that's very comforting to you I'm sure.  But trying to infer that Catholicism and its kindred religions are beneficial and true, to me is like trying to indicate that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

RSS

Support T|A

Think Atheist is 100% member supported

All proceeds go to keeping Think Atheist online.

Donate with Dogecoin

Members

Forum

Things you hate.

Started by Devlin Cuite in Small Talk. Last reply by Unseen 27 minutes ago. 117 Replies

Videos

• Add Videos

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Into life hacks? Check out LabMinions.com

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service