Catholics teach that the fear of god is a gift from the holy spirit.

Fear = Wisdom? Really?

I used to fear GOD. It was real to me and a constant source of stress. Perhaps when atheists speak of new found freedom, some of it is really the shedding of fear. Did you ever "FEAR the LORD? and if so, how did it feel to ditch that fear?

Views: 1636

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Nope, I've never feared the Lord.  I have feared those who do have fear for the Lord though. 

Yes, I used to fear God, mostly I feared being wrong and what that would mean - mortality! I thought about immortality and why God would make us live forever - if you 'know' you are going to live forever you develop a different attitude about life. Being an atheist has freed me to realise the precious aliveness of the present. I feared punishment from God; hell. I saw that hell was an evil construct and a necessary evil for christianity to flourish. I saw that it was just plain wrong to tell children if they don't do this or that then they will burn in hell for eternity; how sick - abuse! Having controlling over-protective parents and being intensely involved in christianity during your teenage years does damage. I'm pretty sure of it. I think that this has at least something to do with my panic disorder.

I can't really say how it felt to ditch the fear of the Lord as my deconversion has been a gradual process lasting several years (and I needed all that time to adjust.) And now that I don't fear the Lord I can't say that I'm free - my panic disorder reminds me that I'm damaged. One thing I can say though is how I have come to see authority in a different light ever since I've been an atheist. I am now my own authority; a free thinker: This has been the most precious gift of my life.

I don't think I ever feared God. I believe that I noticed early on that the punishments offered for bad behavior were neither immediate, nor within my ability to comprehend, either from lack of imagination, or willful denial that a being could supposedly be the source of unconditional love and the source of unending torment.

I sometimes get beliefs or rather doubts about my doubts... and worry that there really might be a God.  

But then like many athiests I know I take solace in the idea that even if there is a God he will like us more than his faithful followers, respecting our reasonable doubt in him.

It felt really awesome. A life changing experience.

“Eternal suffering awaits anyone who questions god’s infinite love.” - Bill Hicks

I used to Fear the Lord.  For a lot of ex-believers this is probably what comes back and haunts us the most.  A lot of my Christian friends now accuse me of 'losing the fear of the Lord' like that's the worst possible thing I could do.  Can I get a witness?

The funny thing is that their bible also says, "perfect love casts out all fear."  I don't know if this means their god doesn't love perfectly, or if it is just further evidence of wildly contradictory statements in their bible.  If there are any Christians reading this, perhaps they can clarify.

My mother dragged us to church three times a week. Religious belief was molded into my life by all of the sources constantly around me. When I got older I was very afraid of stopping what I felt and thought was rediculous "God" belief. One day I decided I would make up my mind and either go all of the way into it, or get all of the way out of it, no matter what!

I'm so glad that I got all of the way out of it! Afterwards I could see things more clearly and assess the insanity it takes for people to follow, have faith in, and believe such clap-trap!

It's part of our many psychological problems, and one of the reasons why people continue to engage in death and destruction on every level imaginable! When I listen to people praising God(s) that were created by mankind during a period when humans were frightened and superstitious beyond belief I can see why people are still annihilating each other.

Again with the constant ad hominem?  Don't you tire of it?

We've covered this before, Robert. If your statement is a lie and I call you on it, that is not fallacious.

To go through your list:

Respond in the threads, in context.

Hmmm.  You listed that one twice. 
Error of haste, Bob.

What you seem to be unable to grok is that we are not fundamentalists. Not about the Bible, and certainly not about the Catechism, and not even about the documents of the various councils. Quoting isolated snippets without an understanding of the language or the culture demonstrates your ignorance of our faith and practice, not understanding.  Again, sophomoric. 

Again, dishonest. I responded to what YOU actually said in those threads. Now YOU respond to what I ACTUALLY SAID in response to your words, IN THE THREADS, Bob, IN CONTEXT.

It's the rough equivalent of a freshman physics student telling me I'm wrong about physics and he can prove it by quoting one line out of the textbook I wrote.

It's the exact equivalent of you losing yet another argument and getting caught in another lie; chickening out rather than owning up, denying challenges rather than rising to meet them.

Much as I might wish to continue your edification, you clearly have more time on your hands than I do. I don't mean to be running away and sulking, I just have other commitments to attend to.

Gosh, Bob. You you didn't have time to answer the previously unanswered threads while simultaneously having time to answer this one and post in others? Must be some kind of temporal paradox.

So what I would suggest is that you go take a class.  Find a nearby Catholic college or university and take a few basic theology courses. 

Theology is not a subject, Bob. Neither is the study of leprechauns or unicorns or fairy wings.

Even better, start with a rabbinical class on the Torah, because in many ways Catholic intellectual thought comes from Judaism.  Then you might be able to make a reasonable argument with reference to the proper texts and what we truly teach.

According to you, the Catechism of the Catholic Church is not the proper text, and not what the Catholic Church truly teaches, and I need the Catholic education.

And I here thought "Too easy!" was the gut-buster of the night!

The fact that god was omnipresent and having an eye on me 24x7 was disturbing, but I don't recall having any  fear for god. I was informed about heaven and hell - but when I came to know that heaven isn't above the clouds as I was told or even somewhere that we know of, I simply gave up the idea that these places could even exist. I had a feeling that what I was being taught about god was not right - which led me to question god's existence. Soon, due to numerous reasons I converted into an agnostic. I didn't gave up the fear of god as it wasn't present in me at the first place, instead I gave up the need for a god.

RSS

Forum

Why do we tolerate this?

Started by Belle Rose in Crime and Punishment. Last reply by Pope Beanie 1 hour ago. 17 Replies

Torture Report release today

Started by Unseen in Ethics & Morals. Last reply by Unseen 1 hour ago. 105 Replies

East German Shame

Started by Davis Goodman in Law, Trials, and Decisions. Last reply by Simon Mathews 2 hours ago. 10 Replies

In Defense of ‘Islamophobia’

Started by Brian Daurelle in Society. Last reply by Erock68la 6 hours ago. 200 Replies

Blog Posts

Pabst Blue Ribbon to the rescue!

Posted by Ed on December 15, 2014 at 9:33pm 0 Comments

Finally, a cool billboard in Arkansas!

Posted by Ed on December 15, 2014 at 8:21am 2 Comments

Atheist Sites

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service