Catholics teach that the fear of god is a gift from the holy spirit.

Fear = Wisdom? Really?

I used to fear GOD. It was real to me and a constant source of stress. Perhaps when atheists speak of new found freedom, some of it is really the shedding of fear. Did you ever "FEAR the LORD? and if so, how did it feel to ditch that fear?

Views: 1584

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Why would you think you've lived without God all your life, @Strega?

Just because someone doesn't believe in dinosaurs just because they think all dinosaurs mean Barney doesn't mean that dinosaurs weren't real.  Just because they don't believe in climate change doesn't mean they aren't experiencing the effects of drought.

Just because you don't believe in God does not mean that God isn't present in your life, in your community, in your friendships, in the world.

Now, if you willingly, with malice of intent and no mitigating mental health issues choose to kidnap 3 women and chain them in your basement as sex slaves for ten years, then perhaps you will have deprived yourself of any relationship with God.  If as a man of the cloth you used your position to molest children, then perhaps you have destroyed any relationship with God within your self.  I'd think so, anyways.

That doesn't sound like you.  So probably no worries about flames and pitchforks. ;-)  It's just fine to be happy.

Just because you don't believe in God does not mean that God isn't present in your life, in your community, in your friendships, in the world.

Just because you believe in God does not mean that God is present in your life, in your community, in your friendships, in the world.

See, we can play that game too, Professor.

But one could apply the same argument about Shiva, Odin, Ahura Mazda, Zeus, or any of the other gods. 

Don't worry Professor! I got this one for you... What was that brilliant piece of enlightenment you dropped on me earlier?

Oh! I remember!

"Yawn."

No, each of those gods had different characteristics and the respective religions made different claims.   Consider them different hypotheses, perhaps.  Some have been rejected.

And that prevents them from being "in your life, in your community, in your friendships, in the world"?

"No, each of those gods had different characteristics and the respective religions made different claims.   Consider them different hypotheses, perhaps.  Some have been rejected."

Rejected? How so?

What argument can you make for dismissing any other deity /hypothesis that wouldn't apply to yours?

Don't forget Thor!  Thor is real.

Sighs - I'd be a woman of the cloth now, wouldn't I?  Oh, hang on, not in the Catholic faith - silly idea, what was I thinking!

I have, however, lived without preachings, all my life.  I don't know if you are here to test your faith, or our lack thereof.  I have no idea what points you try to make here, although that "yawn" post seems to have dismissed any traces of interest I had in your philosophy.

You appear to be trying to say that your religion is the true one, and that's very comforting to you I'm sure.  But trying to infer that Catholicism and its kindred religions are beneficial and true, to me is like trying to indicate that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

@Strega, I'm sure I couldn't see you as a woman of the cloth!

I'm not sure why you want to impute to me some agenda, though I suppose you get that here from time to time.

In any event, I have no intention to preach and certainly no desire to proselytize.  I apologize if anything I've written has come across that way.  I am perfectly comfortable with atheism intellectually and personally, and am happy to be supportive of atheists.  I also am quite comfortable in my own faith; there's really little here that would "test" it even if I did see the regular members of ThinkAtheist as being a proselytizing bunch.  Being referred to as an "ass-raper" I find amusingly juvenile.

If I were to reflect a bit, I suppose that  I think outside perspectives help all of us to think about things better, and are preferable to intellectual monocultures.   When I first blundered here, I was a bit taken aback by some of the hurtfulness and prejudice, and just ignorance.  That sort of stuff often grows in intellectual monocultures (and I completely include religious thought in that indictment), but it had not been my previous experience with intellectual atheism.

So perhaps, deep down, I'm thinking an occasional word or two from a real Catholic theist would contribute something to mutual understanding and good will.  I'm figuring most intellectual atheists would prefer the real thing to the imaginary Catholics and theists people seem to dislike so much. 

As I have said, though, I am simply a guest in your space here, and a very occasional one at that.  I am happy to withdraw if you like, or limit myself to one area.  This space should remain a comfortable and supportive one for those whom it serves.

I am perfectly comfortable with atheism intellectually and personally, and am happy to be supportive of atheists. I also am quite comfortable in my own faith; there's really little here that would "test" it even if I did see the regular members of ThinkAtheist as being a proselytizing bunch.

Please, Robert. Atheists overwhelmingly test your faith on an intellectual level. You either cheat on those tests or refuse to take them. That's all you ever do here. That's what you call comfort.

Being referred to as an "ass-raper" I find amusingly juvenile.

I searched TA and found no examples of anyone referring to you as an ass-raper, Robert. Please do provide links to the offending posts. Failing that, based on your previous record, I'm leaning toward thinking your statement above is yet another example of you distorting the truth to bolster your delusions of persecution.

I'm figuring most intellectual atheists would prefer the real thing to the imaginary Catholics and theists people seem to dislike so much.

The child rapists and those who protected them are not imaginary. The theists who hate and mistrust us, and use the law and violence against us, and vastly outnumber us, are not imaginary. Only the Gods you worship are.

Please, Robert. Atheists overwhelmingly test your faith on an intellectual level.

It's just Bob, @Gallup.  Robert is way too formal.

I'm sorry to report, however, that atheists are relatively underwhelming on an intellectual level, in my own experience.  The arguments I tend to find dull and sophomoric, when they aren't just arguing against a fictional version of religion of their own making.

I searched TA and found no examples of anyone referring to you as an ass-raper, Robert.

Whatsoever you do to the least of my brethren...

I believe you'll find a number of comments to the effect that my church, which according to our theology is not a building or an organization but a community of people, are all about the ass-raping.

Step up and be honest.  There are all kinds of relatively mean-spirited and biased things posted here about theists of various sorts every day.

The theists who hate and mistrust us, and use the law and violence against us, and vastly outnumber us, are not imaginary.

No, those individuals aren't imaginary.  However, the ascribing those characteristics to whole groups of people is entirely imaginary, and unjust.  As is most of the understanding of religion or theology described here.

RSS

Blog Posts

The tale of the twelve officers

Posted by Davis Goodman on August 27, 2014 at 3:04am 4 Comments

Birthday Present

Posted by Caila Rowe on August 26, 2014 at 1:29am 8 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service