Catholics teach that the fear of god is a gift from the holy spirit.

Fear = Wisdom? Really?

I used to fear GOD. It was real to me and a constant source of stress. Perhaps when atheists speak of new found freedom, some of it is really the shedding of fear. Did you ever "FEAR the LORD? and if so, how did it feel to ditch that fear?

Views: 1620

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

No. However I was raised in the Episcopal Church which is not a hellfire and brimstone sect. It was all "God is love."

what's wrong with fearing God?

Fear should be a fear of something real.

How do you know God isn't real?

Since the beginning of recorded history, which is defined by the invention of writing by the Sumerians around 6000 years ago, historians have cataloged over 3700 supernatural beings, of which 2870 can be considered deities. Which God are you referring to?

source

Firstly, the burden of proof is on you. We simply claim that there are no gods based on the extreme lack of evidence to support believing in one.

If I tell you that I can fly, and you should worship me and give me your money, and while we're at it, kill your children to prove you love me, you will instantly call bullshit. If I tell you I can fly, you will say "Prove it, asshole! There is a skyscraper, jump the fuck off and prove it." You won't go out of your way to prove that I can't fly, so why should we prove that your god is imaginary?

If you want us to believe, you are the one who needs to provide proof.

Well, Mercedes, you first need to tell us which god.
Are you referring to Yahweh, or Zeus, or Ahura Mazda, Thor, Wotan, Odin, Ra, Horus, we can keep going for another few thousand names...

Once you specify which god you mean, then you need to answer the question "How do you know that THAT god IS real instead of all the others?"

And before you answer that, let me just take this opportunity to say that I have faith that your god is not real, I feel that he is not real, and I have had a personal experience with a world that has no gods.

Now that we have the tired old cliche answers out of the way, give us testable evidence that shows the existence of your god.

Yawn.

Great response Professor! What insightful phrasing! Such powerful evidence behind your words... How have I not seen the light until this very moment!

I was blind, but now I see... the absolute worthlessness of every post you make.

I must say that out of all of the bullshit you spew on this forum, this post has got to be your best work yet. At least with your pathetic attempt to diminish my post, you have finally managed to type something other than your usual "no true Scotsman" argument.

Bravo, good sir! I would tip my hat to you if I would be wearing one. This is a great step forward for your communication skills.

Keep it up! One of these days you will manage to say something worth reading. Hopefully.

Pretty much the same way you know Santa Claus isn't real.

Seriously, what's the difference, other than the local culture's peer pressure to get you to believe in their specific version of a Supernatural Father?

I don't know God isn't real.  Until something happens that convinces me that there really is a deity, however, I will most likely not believe in one.  I am not entirely against being convinced, either. What I think it would take, in the face of not having direct, personally-experienced proof, is a willing suspension of disbelief.  This is just the same as what it takes to believe, say, Lord Voldemort or Snoopy the Dog is real long enough to enjoy the book/movie/comic strip in which he is featured.

I have done that when I read the Bible, just like I did it when I read The Deathly Hallows.  I am an equal-opportunity disbeliever though.  If Snoopy shows up on my porch or Voldemort flies up next to me on the highway, I will believe in them just as I would believe in a deity who manifested itself in my reality.

What I think happens to believers in a god is that the disbelief continues to be suspended and the fiction extends into real life even after the book has been put down.  That's great if someone wants to do that, but what I get annoyed with is that then many believers then want others to do the same, or fly planes into buildings because of the fiction they believe.  Believe whatever you want or need to believe, I say,  I don't care what people believe.  I care about what they do with that belief.  

What's wrong with it , excluding the imaginary aspect , Mercedes , is that it becomes the very definition of an abusive , sadomasochistic relationship . Having a fear of the one you love is not healthy , nor is it nurturing . That type of relationship is diseased , and is at the core of why religious people are at times capable of astonishing barbarism and cruelty .

But we fear God because he's all powerful. He can do anything he wants to do and we are his creation so we are subject to him. that why we should fear his wrath. but he's loving too. Jesus died for us so we can have grace and be forgiven so now we dont need to fear him anymore.

RSS

Atheist Sites

Forum

In Defense of ‘Islamophobia’

Started by Brian Daurelle in Society. Last reply by Erock68la 10 minutes ago. 63 Replies

Analyzing Ferguson

Started by Unseen in Crime and Punishment. Last reply by Simon Mathews 19 minutes ago. 5 Replies

The Movie Kiss: Romance or Rape?

Started by Unseen in Society. Last reply by Belle Rose 27 minutes ago. 63 Replies

"Probably won't report".....

Started by Belle Rose in Society. Last reply by Unseen 1 hour ago. 18 Replies

Blog Posts

Rounding Up?

Posted by Carol Foley on November 20, 2014 at 3:17am 2 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service