How would you define religion in academic terms?

Tags: define, definition, religion

Views: 908

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I clicked on your link in my email, which, as usual, proved to be a big disappointment.

I clicked on your link in my email, which, as usual, proved to be a big disappointment.

Naturally. You were too obtuse to click on linked text and images, and you sure won't admit to the time you wasted figuring that out. So you switch to moaning that you don't like a cartoon about Santa and Odin. *Sigh.* It's such a BIG disappointment.

Speaking of wasted time: goodnight, arch.

Sorry to burst this theory, but Santa Clause is an amalgamation of different Continental traditions and given a Coca Cola makeover.

In the Nordics, Santa is called Nisse or Tomte, which harks back to pre-Christianization times. He's much more similar til arch or Unseen than to Santa or Odin...

Sorry to burst this theory, but Santa Clause is an amalgamation of different Continental traditions and given a Coca Cola makeover.

No need to be sorry. The Santa tradition in the US is similar to beliefs that originated with Odin and the winter festival of Yule. Nothing you've presented "busts" that. I'm not saying these are the exclusive roots of Santa, but they are the most prominent ones and they pre-date Christianity.

In the Nordics, Santa is called Nisse or Tomte, which harks back to pre-Christianization times. He's much more similar til arch or Unseen than to Santa or Odin...

It seems the pre-Christian Nisse/Tomte was a kind of household spirit, comparable to a brownie, or a hob, or domovoi, with a poisonous bite, superhuman strength, and a tendency to kill livestock and play pranks when angered. That doesn't sound very Santa-like (or Odin-like) to me.

I recall the frequent appearance of boggarts whenever we would enjoy particular activities. 

Wow. What was Santa stuffing in your stocking?

I assumed that if you didn't feel it was worth making it legible, it wasn't worth pursuing.

Have you considered a personality transplant? They're doing wonders today with modern medicine.

Ah, @Gallup, back to the adolescent name calling I see. 

Thus, Pinocchio suffers another amnesia attack...

I think this thread is about the definition of religion.

...and avoids his humiliating "God is a postulate" routine (again).

Perhaps you would like to contribute to that conversation?

See page one for mine.

If I were you, I'd wear that with a sense of pride.

You'll get over it.

Must be a different Dr. Bob.  I don't know how to block anybody on this site.  I wouldn't in any event, since I'm just an occasional visitor.

Your claymation reminds me of the old SNL "Mr. Bill".

Well you are, of course, a-religious - because, as I understand it, religion is about man reaching out to a deity or deities, while Catholicism is about the Catholic pantheon reaching out to man.  Did I get that right?

I don't think so, least-wise not as this applies to Professor Doctor Robert's God. That God exists only in the imagination, like Gandalf the Wizard.

A God that reaches out to man? That's a God doing something in empirical reality. According to Bob, none of the world's religions make such claims, only atheists do and it's our #1 argument!

I've asked ol' Pinocchio to clarify this-- you know, in the spirit of intellectual honesty?-- but of course, he's still being careful not to clarify it.

RSS

Blog Posts

The tale of the twelve officers

Posted by Davis Goodman on August 27, 2014 at 3:04am 4 Comments

Birthday Present

Posted by Caila Rowe on August 26, 2014 at 1:29am 9 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service