How would you define religion in academic terms?

Tags: define, definition, religion

Views: 972

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

There becomes a point, beyond which, if the one who posts it doesn't care if anyone reads it, why should I?

Then why waste your time and ours?

I clicked on your link in my email, which, as usual, proved to be a big disappointment.

Sorry to burst this theory, but Santa Clause is an amalgamation of different Continental traditions and given a Coca Cola makeover.

In the Nordics, Santa is called Nisse or Tomte, which harks back to pre-Christianization times. He's much more similar til arch or Unseen than to Santa or Odin...

I recall the frequent appearance of boggarts whenever we would enjoy particular activities. 

I assumed that if you didn't feel it was worth making it legible, it wasn't worth pursuing.

Have you considered a personality transplant? They're doing wonders today with modern medicine.

If I were you, I'd wear that with a sense of pride.

You'll get over it.

Must be a different Dr. Bob.  I don't know how to block anybody on this site.  I wouldn't in any event, since I'm just an occasional visitor.

Your claymation reminds me of the old SNL "Mr. Bill".

There's really nothing to clarify, @Gallup.  God is a postulate in the same way that Euclid's axioms are postulates.  They are a starting point that defines an intellectual system or worldview, not an ending point.   The existence of God is not an interesting question, either for religion or science, any more than the existence of one-dimensional lines is an interesting question.

When we posit the existence of one-dimensional line segments, though, it is a starting point from which we are able to build one or more entire systems of geometry.  Rich, varied, internally consistent systems of thought that consume volumes of texts and lifetimes of study.    Those systems of geometry are actually remarkably good at describing "reality", and modeling the phenomena that we observe.   We "believe" in geometry, and trust it for doing many "real world" things.  The structure that geometry provides helps improve our thought processes and lets us recognize and observe things about the universe we might otherwise miss.

Of course geometry, theology, both are human intellectual abstractions.  So are our theories of gravitation and quantum mechanics.  They aren't "real".   The universe is what it is.  We just have models which describe observations of the universe we experience, and ways of thinking which help us focus our explorations and grow.

LOL.  I like that one.

Of course it's true in many ways.  Our ideas about God, or the universe, are just that - our ideas.  They live in our brains, whether it's theology or geometry or gravity.

© 2015   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service