What's the best definition of God that you guys can come up with or find?

I came up with this one: 

"God: a literary device (used mostly in fantasy) to bypass the laws of physics and nature in order to speed up the writing process." 
Modern Example: Eru from "The Silmarillion" by JRR Tolkien.
The traditional example you all know. 

Views: 768

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Good one!

Haha XD

I like this definition

God: An all powerful angry Santa Claus.

god: synonymous with deity, it is a device typically used by humans to explain things in nature or life that are misunderstood or unexplained; deities are also quite often used by individuals or groups to scare, suppress, or otherwise control individuals or groups in society

**see also: myth

That's my stab at it; what do you think?

Yeah, it's like the God-of-the-gaps theory.. Very true

As we make discoveries, we not only gain specific knowledge, but we also come to realize that there is knowledge yet existing to be discovered.   The sum body of this knowledge in waiting is 'god', and therefore 'god' is our own ignorance.  As the unknown approaches (perhaps a boy or a girl, or perhaps the result of a medical test), the answer already exists and we await the revelation of knowledge from 'god'; we await the enlightenment from our ignorance.

The only argument for the existence of gods is ignorance.  In point of fact, god is the reflection of our ignorance; and god is eternal.

I would just like to point out that The Silmarillion is a FAR better read than the Bible... much more descriptive when it comes to the HOW things were created part.

YES!!! PRECISELY... Another example of the creation surpassing the creator. Tolkien has a superb narrative style compare to 'god's' (he must be rolling in his grave because I wrote that (^_^). Love him though.)

The definition everyone knows

Anyway, it doesnt exist

God: When your hopes or dreams come true he is the reason.  When they are denied, he has other plans. When you lose your job, he has a better one in store for you.  When you get a new job, god helped.  When you are going through tough times and they end, god was there.  When a loved one is sick and pulls through, god did it.   When a loved one is ill and dies, god took him.

In shorter words...

If, then god.  If not, then god. (both positive)

That's kind of a trick question. As Noam Chomsky once said, "...I can't even call myself an "atheist" because it is not at all clear what I'm being asked to deny." 

How does one define something one doesn't believe exists? How does one deny the existence of something they can't define? Surely it's up to believers to define exactly what it is they believe in and their reasons for doing so. If I declare a definition for the god I don't believe in a believer could say, "Well, that isn't the god I believe in" (and many do).

Regardless of the lack of a clear definition for a god I'm happy to call myself an atheist (in the broadest sense) because I have yet to hear a compelling or convincing case for the existence of any of the gods I've ever heard of.

RSS

Support T|A

Think Atheist is 100% member supported

All proceeds go to keeping Think Atheist online.

Donate with Dogecoin

Members

Forum

Things you hate.

Started by Devlin Cuite in Small Talk. Last reply by Simon Paynton 4 minutes ago. 184 Replies

Videos

• Add Videos

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Into life hacks? Check out LabMinions.com

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service