Thank's to Reg's most recent Sunday school I read an article which discusses Deepak's most recent attention seeking youtube trolling video

I think it's great that an award is being offered to anyone who can explain the biological basis for a thought. Neuro-researchers of all kinds aren't even close to giving a confident answer. So the more motivation for current researchers the better.

However his challenge is not benevolent. From a deep sense of insecurity he is taunting those who laugh at his quantum woo by laughing at the ignorance that plagues scientists investigation how the mind works. However there are several massive problems with what he is doing:

1: 1,000,000 isn't enough of an incentive. This is something that is currently being researched by many groups in many universities and many many millions have already been spent on it and millions more will be spent. But he will never give away the money even if we find a confident answer. He'll always be able to woo his way out of anything.

2: He implies that since no one can give a confident answer now ... it cannot be done. But most scientists and neuro-philosophers admit that no one can yet confidently explain the biological basis of a thought. In fact they can also admit that there is a long way to go. But they can all demonstrate the progress made and potential models which are based on empirical evidence.

3. He implies that since we cannot give a confident explanation per neuro-science ... that his quantum woo is valid.

The last one is the big stinking whopper. There is a fundamental difference between what scientists are progressing towards and what Deepak languishes in. Scientists are trying to understand consciousness. Deepak is trying to sell his books and his services. Scientists are basing their models on a sound understanding of physics, neuro-psychology, biology etc. Deepak is basing his model on poetry. Scientists may one day have a confident explanation of consciousness. Deepak won't and will probably spend most of his time making stupid youtube videos and will make even more money off of the gullible. Even with his new crusty persona.

Views: 371

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I think many of us have been tempted to write a Chopra style book as a joke to see how easy it is to publish it. And we all equally fear how lost in that world we would get once it started selling.

Brian wrote a parody one called "Wish it, Want it. Do it". Here is the Interview. Enjoy!!

I wonder if Brian had slightly less integrity ... if he would have written twenty books more as Chopra has.

I've thought about starting a new religion, piling on as much woo as I could think of, to become rich like L. Ron Hubbard. The only problem: it'd be hard to top Scientology.

RSS

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service