The atheist response to the text of the Bible is based primarily upon the young earth creationist interpretation, which is flawed. If I put myself objectively in the position of the atheist attempting to debunk the Bible I would start with Genesis Chapter 1. The Chapter passed the inspection of this former atheist.

The Hebrew verb consists of two different states. The perfect state indicates an action which is complete, whereas the imperfect state indicates a continuous or incomplete action.

At Genesis 1:1 the word bara, translated as created, is in the perfect state, which means that at this point the creation of the heavens and the Earth were completed. Later, as in verse 16 the Hebrew word asah, translated as made, is used, which is in the imperfect state, indicating continuous action. The heavens and Earth were created in verse 1 and an indeterminate time later they were being prepared for habitation, much the same as a bed is manufactured (complete) and made (continuous) afterwards.

What this means is that the creation was complete even before the six "days" of creation even began, in fact, later verses in the chapter reveal it was more than likely a long time in between Genesis 1:1 and 1:2.

Views: 3961

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I failed to mention that much like Lot, you would be visited by two nice young men in their Saturday-go-to-meeting clothes, not out of duplicity, rather out of ignorance - I'm still waiting for my copy that I requested three years ago. I suppose it could be the Satanic symbols I've painted on my house - I haven't had a door-to-door salesman here in years and little children never trick or treat me on Halloween - I feel lonelier than the last living cell in a dead body --

RE: "But is there a website you want to direct me to for the equivalent JW opportunity, I wonder..." - not really, you've already proven that you're as proficient as I at looking things up! One of my personal commandments (from me to myself), is never do for others what they can do for themselves - it robs them of their independence and pride of accomplishment.

You can lead a horticulture but you can't make her think.  {Dorothy Parker}

Who was that "theologian" who had it all figured out and who started a thread that went on for a few weeks, but then he simply disappeared? He was going to revolutionize Biblical studies. He had an icon of him with a short beard and some gal looking over his shoulder.

David is reminding me of him.

I don't know - they come, they go, like hookers in the night - who remembers names?

Darn it, missed that one. Yes, that would have been funnier. I tried 5 different names, but stopped too soon. 

Debunk the bible?? Why not debunk a Superman comic. I am completely at a loss to understand why ANY sane person would give a shit what bronze-age men believed (except from an anthropological standpoint). Oh, I forgot - it wasn't ancient fishers. GOD wrote the Bible. How do we know that? The Bible says so. But how do we know the Bible is infallible? Because Peter SAW God in the back room writing with lightning onto gold tablets which were subsequently buried in Illinois. So there we have it. PROOF!! Or have I got the wrong version?

What utter nonsense! What's to debunk?

I would be genuinely interested to hear someone defend the Bible without, in the final analysis, using either God or the Bible as the authority. Come on. Give us a chuckle.

What this means is that the creation was complete even before the six "days" of creation even began, in fact, later verses in the chapter reveal it was more than likely a long time in between Genesis 1:1 and 1:2.

So, That's how your read the Holy Bible?? Here's a link Rig-Veda <Sa> to one of the oldest scripture of Hinduism in Sanskrit language & this Rig-Veda <En> is for English translation of that ancient "metered" poetry at Wikisource. I don't think that I've to debunk the Enuma-Elish to prove that I'm an atheist. 

Interesting choice of Usernames - I think you've even out-unseen Unseen --

(If you're new here, that may not make much sense to you, but stick around, it will.)

RSS

Forum

Sunday Disassembly

Started by Reg The Fronkey Farmer in Society. Last reply by Simon Paynton 1 hour ago. 11 Replies

Awe struck

Started by Davis Goodman in Small Talk. Last reply by Unseen 11 hours ago. 40 Replies

where when how who why ?

Started by aubrey knows nothing * in Small Talk. Last reply by Davis Goodman 11 hours ago. 5 Replies

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service