The atheist response to the text of the Bible is based primarily upon the young earth creationist interpretation, which is flawed. If I put myself objectively in the position of the atheist attempting to debunk the Bible I would start with Genesis Chapter 1. The Chapter passed the inspection of this former atheist.

The Hebrew verb consists of two different states. The perfect state indicates an action which is complete, whereas the imperfect state indicates a continuous or incomplete action.

At Genesis 1:1 the word bara, translated as created, is in the perfect state, which means that at this point the creation of the heavens and the Earth were completed. Later, as in verse 16 the Hebrew word asah, translated as made, is used, which is in the imperfect state, indicating continuous action. The heavens and Earth were created in verse 1 and an indeterminate time later they were being prepared for habitation, much the same as a bed is manufactured (complete) and made (continuous) afterwards.

What this means is that the creation was complete even before the six "days" of creation even began, in fact, later verses in the chapter reveal it was more than likely a long time in between Genesis 1:1 and 1:2.

Views: 3961

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Absolutely, Ed - Memphis is to R&R what Nashville is to C&W, and I can't imagine anyone placing the C&W Hall of Fame in New York City.

"NEW YORK CITY????!!!!"*&lt):) cowboy

@Amanda - RE: "Can you explain why the chronological order (gen 1:1) of creation does not contain the actual "correct" order of the creation of man and woman (showed in gen 2)?"

I pointed out earlier that Gen 1 was written by the Yahwist group in Judea about 950 BCE, while Gen 2 was written by the Elohist Group in the Northern Kingdom of Isreal in Schechem, around 850 BCE, then combined after Israel was destroyed in 722 BCE. Different people wrote different stories, then someone pasted them together, but not knowing which (if either) was closer to the truth, just included them both.

Amanda,

When the issue becomes does God or gods exist the question is somewhat moot to me in the sense that the Bible mentions many Gods. Moses, Satan, Molech, Judges, Angels, etc. Since to the writers of the Bible a god was anyone or anything that was considered mighty or venerated. Jehovah, the creator of life, the universe, became the God, that is, mighty, to Moses and later Israel. So there needs to be that distinction that we are talking about either the Creator or Jehovah by name. 

If Jehovah were a myth he could still exist as a God as many gods mentioned in the Bible did. So it becomes moot.

RE: "If Jehovah were a myth he could still exist as a God as many gods mentioned in the Bible did."

So you just kinda make up the rules as you go along - if you're not real, you don't exist, case closed! I suppose Santa Claus is a god too, after all, how else can you explain how he delivers presents all over the world in a single night? MAGIC!

Wait.... what?  That's a bit like reading instructions for amending your tax return to add a late-arriving 1099-misc after having filed your taxes.  I think that tax instructions might make more sense, actually.  Maybe I should seek truth at IRS.gov.

Yo David - RE: "Since to the writers of the Bible a god was anyone or anything that was considered mighty or venerated" - show me where it says that.

Or is it only YOU saying that, to make things fit your paradigm?

New posts go to my email box, making new ones easy to find since there's also a direct link to the post. Change your settings.

Unfortunately the email I get only comes in once a day, and it will (say) give your name, say you posted six times, and offer to take you to Unseen's last post in the thread.

Ideally there's be a way to click on an icon, and have it take you to the first post you haven't read yet, in context... then clicking it again, takes you to the next... etc.  Or even just highlighting the page links for pages that have new content.

You can set your email preferences to receive notifications in real  time.

Yikes that would bury me.  But it's good to know it's there.

That's how I get mine.

Why recreate the wheel - the following go a long way in debunking the Bible, imo:
1. Who Wrote the Bible
2. Jesus, Interrupted
3. The Rejection of Pascal's Wager
4. The End of Biblical Studies
5. The Born Again Skeptic's Guide to the Bible

RSS

Forum

Awe struck

Started by Davis Goodman in Small Talk. Last reply by Unseen 5 hours ago. 40 Replies

where when how who why ?

Started by aubrey knows nothing * in Small Talk. Last reply by Davis Goodman 6 hours ago. 5 Replies

I don't know what to say

Started by Belle Rose in Atheist Parenting. Last reply by Ward Cressin 11 hours ago. 2 Replies

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service