The atheist response to the text of the Bible is based primarily upon the young earth creationist interpretation, which is flawed. If I put myself objectively in the position of the atheist attempting to debunk the Bible I would start with Genesis Chapter 1. The Chapter passed the inspection of this former atheist.

The Hebrew verb consists of two different states. The perfect state indicates an action which is complete, whereas the imperfect state indicates a continuous or incomplete action.

At Genesis 1:1 the word bara, translated as created, is in the perfect state, which means that at this point the creation of the heavens and the Earth were completed. Later, as in verse 16 the Hebrew word asah, translated as made, is used, which is in the imperfect state, indicating continuous action. The heavens and Earth were created in verse 1 and an indeterminate time later they were being prepared for habitation, much the same as a bed is manufactured (complete) and made (continuous) afterwards.

What this means is that the creation was complete even before the six "days" of creation even began, in fact, later verses in the chapter reveal it was more than likely a long time in between Genesis 1:1 and 1:2.

Views: 3933

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yay, one of my favorite topics.

Take a science text book from 20 years ago and compare it to today and this would be comical.

You mean like, when science finally won over the church wrt we not being the center of the universe? Yeah, it did take a while to improve those theories and get them accepted in spite of dogmatists.

Imagine how long it'd take to get nuclear power, cancer cures, and a million other advances if all we were allowed to do was to stick to dogmas?

And I should care...why? I'm not going to get into the nitty gritty of a book devoted to a deity that obviously is just as fictitious as Odin, Zeus, Ahura Mazda, Krishna and the rest? They all have their books, creation myths, ways for the soul to persist after death, as well as myriad other lies.

Why should I or anyone argue over The Holy Bible with you?

Unseen: Why should I or anyone argue over The Holy Bible with you?

Fun? You don't think that attention is granted me due to my fantastic intellectual abilities, now, do you? Why . . . I have the intellectual capacity of, what? Winnie The Pooh? Nah, asinus asinum fricat might be the alternative, Max.

But if its not for you then give it a miss.

Let's get down to the nitty gritty. Why do you think Yahweh exists despite the lack of evidence? That's my kind of fun.

Hooked you, didn't he? Heh, heh, heh --

Tomorrow night we move on in chapter 1.

How? We still haven't gotten past the fourth word: "In the beginning, God..." We need to get that one out of the way before we can move on!

You DO realize, being the linguistic expert that you are, that the original Hebrew name for Genesis was, "Bereshit"? Personally, I have another name for it, using yet another stock market animal image --

Arch, Bereshith . . . and I take it that as opposed to the Bear you refer to the Bovine?

Well, I think its a disgrace. We are not amused. Well . . . I am not amused. Okay. Maybe a little amused but its late and I'm tired.

RE: "Well . . . I am not amused." - (Stage whisper): No one cares --

Unseen.

Hell yeah!

You must enjoy it on some capacity. When I was an atheist I wouldn't have spent a minute hashing this shit out with some fucking crazy theist. Really. I wouldn't have.

You know it?!

I mean really, lets be honest with ourselves - we both must be stupid sombitches or think the sun shines out our asses to engage in this sort of debate. Probably a little of both, because we are at least capable of admitting it but dumb enough to continue.

All that's required, for theism to flourish, is for good men (and Unseen) to do nothing --

I'm not afraid of admitting that my intellect is near that of Pooh.

“Lots of people talk to animals...Not very many listen though...that's the problem.”

-the Tao of Pooh

You'd be better off if you did. If I had the time I would translate exactly what you are saying (perhaps not what you mean) in many of these posts. You argue the point of no point. You rely on confusion or you're trying to sound smarter than what you are and probably confusing yourself in the process.

I see your donkey statement and raise you one: A donde el burro de programa?

RSS

Blog Posts

PI = 4

Posted by _Robert_ on September 16, 2014 at 8:53pm 4 Comments

Invictus

Posted by Marinda on September 11, 2014 at 4:08pm 0 Comments

Ads

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service