The atheist response to the text of the Bible is based primarily upon the young earth creationist interpretation, which is flawed. If I put myself objectively in the position of the atheist attempting to debunk the Bible I would start with Genesis Chapter 1. The Chapter passed the inspection of this former atheist.

The Hebrew verb consists of two different states. The perfect state indicates an action which is complete, whereas the imperfect state indicates a continuous or incomplete action.

At Genesis 1:1 the word bara, translated as created, is in the perfect state, which means that at this point the creation of the heavens and the Earth were completed. Later, as in verse 16 the Hebrew word asah, translated as made, is used, which is in the imperfect state, indicating continuous action. The heavens and Earth were created in verse 1 and an indeterminate time later they were being prepared for habitation, much the same as a bed is manufactured (complete) and made (continuous) afterwards.

What this means is that the creation was complete even before the six "days" of creation even began, in fact, later verses in the chapter reveal it was more than likely a long time in between Genesis 1:1 and 1:2.

Views: 3967

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'd say it was the responsibility of that scientist to present evidence that he did in fact receive a transmission, that it was indeed from "somewhere out in space," and that it originated from advanced beings, which would necessitate evidence that such beings exist.

You have maintained the said god in gen 1:1 exists, now this is the deal before we go into bible exegesis, show me the evidence this god exists.

I here when the bible was first written, if there is a first date, they didn't have vowels, spacing and so on, is this true? How does one make sense of something like that and then you have the audacity to tell us the god in question so desired to reveal something to us mortals. I don't buy it, I will not buy it, unless that god comes himself if he exists to show me what he meant

I along with everyone else here have an opinion on the existence of God.

Precisely. Your unsupported opinion that God exists is what supports my opinion that he does not. 

The OP attempts to reexamine the evidence presented by the text itself.

That too, assumes the unsupported premise that the text itself is evidence. We may by the same premise know that Rudolph has a red nose based on the eyewitness testimony of Dasher. 

Lets say scientist received some transmission from somewhere out in space claiming to originate from some extremely advanced beings. Should we listen to the skeptics who say those beings don't exist or proceed objectively?

A better analogy is that someone claims to have received such a signal from advanced aliens and insists a book he wrote about the experience counts as evidence. I would proceed just as objectively in that situation as well.

I guess that is up to the individual, but do you see my point.

Yes, I see your point. I'm simply pointing out the flaw in your reasoning as to what qualifies as evidence.

I predict I'm going to put a period at the end of this sentence and thus prove that I can predict the future. See? It worked! I predicted it, and it came true. And the evidence is right here before your eyes!

Gallup's Mirror created a period at the end of the sentence. Gallup's Mirror saw that it was good. Amen.

Lets say scientist received some transmission from somewhere out in space claiming to originate from some extremely advanced beings. Should we listen to the skeptics who say those beings don't exist or proceed objectively?

If that transmission contains information contradictory to the facts that science has thus far discovered, concerning our world and our species, then yes, we should dismiss it as false. If the scientist who received the message presents evidence of it's outer space origin, then it will be worth a second glance. If he presents further evidence that the species sending the message is advanced, then the claim and the message will be examined further.

The bible on the other hand, is not a transmission from space, David. It is a collection of writings penned by men. Random bronze age tales, edited and re-edited, slapped together in a hard cover during the Council of Nicaea (300 years after Jesus died), on the order of Emperor Constantine, in order to preserve his new-found empire and belief. Many, many texts were left out of the bible, for various reasons. Whether they were considered "heretical," too region oriented to be appreciated on a wider scale of believers, or just too far-fetched to be included in a book which contains talking snakes and a Jewish Lich.

You say you understand the point Archy and GM are making, but you refuse to answer it. Your point is understood as well, but is not being addressed because it holds no water. Your point fails in the first sentence of your holy book. The book begins with the assumption that god is real. Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. Unless the second sentence provides that evidence, which it does not, there is no point to be made.

Your post is titled "Debunking The Bible: The Atheist Challenge..." It has already been debunked, 4 words into the book. Round of high-fives for everybody!

If you expect us to go on this magical journey with you, and explore your holy book under the guise of "debunking it," you will need to provide some evidence for us to actually consider, in order to debunk anything.

Asking us to debunk an assumption that god is real, is like me asking you to debunk my belief that the ghost of Charlie Chaplin  tastes purple. Let's debunk that since we are here already. You start.

Milos you don't make it any easy, do you?

Last I checked, there is a problem at word number 3, that is, beginning, so before he goes to number word number 4 he must explain that. This is getting interesting than I thought

Well the general consensus was a free pass on word 3. The book is about god, after all, not about the beginning. The beginning is only... well... in the beginning (no pun intended).

But, on the other hand, why should word 3 get a free pass. Good point, Onyango. Where is the evidence for a beginning, David?

I hereby move for a motion that the section of sentence 1, containing the words "In the beginning" be forever changed on this thread to "Once upon a time."

You can't count to infinity, Onyango.

You can't count to infinity, Onyango.

1, 2, 3... ∞

1, 2, 3... ∞

1, 2, 3... ∞

I did it twice !

I can do it more accurately than either of you: SQUARE ROOT OF PI!

David the good brothers have beaten me to it! There is more counting left to do

RSS

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service