I think the hardest part of deconverting is dealing with the fact that this is it. After being told from a young age that you will live for eternity after you die, it is sometimes hard to face reality that existance is much much shorter than originally thought. How do you all deal with this fact and get in the right mindset to best handle it?

Views: 2517

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

@Dave Stallworth

Your childish assertions have already been debunked over and over, and yet here you are, spewing them over again in obstinate ignorance.  I've already said that even with a god-delusion, your morals are simply written by the conmen that run your cult.  Those morals change from sect to sect, from Yahweh to Allah, so there is no basis for them.  Rationality is more likely to produce homogeneous ethics/morals/laws.

Why do you pretend that none of your points have ever been addressed?  Why don't you ever respond to the rebuttals to your elementary apologetics?

Your childish assertions have already been debunked over and over, and yet here you are, spewing them over again in obstinate ignorance.

I remember a philosophy class where one student who was arguing with the professor over some point, kept raising the same objection over and over slightly reworded or worded into a form that meant exactly the same thing. The professor got a laugh by saying that the student was "engaging in an attempted proof by repetition." Theists do this all the time.

I know what you mean - I hate redundancy, I hate redundancy!

Report all redundancy in duplicate to the Department of Redundancy Department.

If Christians have a moral compass, why is there so little consistency even among Christians? Some allow female clergy, some don't. Some will marry gays, some won't. Some are for capital punishment, some deplore it. Some believe in beating disobedient children, some don't.

WHERE the HELL is the evidence of a compass?

Then there are Christians, Muslims and Jews (oh my!) who believe in the same god, but disagree across the board on more issues than they agree on.

There might be a compass, but their poles are moving around looking for an acceptable settling point.

A few times I noticed that 'freedom is slavery', could have won out over 'do as I command, not as I do!'

Once you get to a certain point of self understanding, much of the BS generated from excess testosterone, male bravado, economic greed, ideological true belief, youthful idealism, political sophistry, etc, can drop off a little.

I don't have a gun. I could be the biggest dog on the block if I wanted to. I want people to be ok, because the alternative is very unsettling, and seems very mean. I am not the center of universe, and I know I will die. I do not live in a 'privilaged' place, thinking that I have a RIGHT to rule or control. I have noticed my own demons a few times, and I do not feed them, much.

As a theist, you should consider yourself lucky to live in a culture where even your beliefs can have a say in the formulation of culture, and where extremism is generally not rewarded. Even I would not desire to live with atheists as the Big Dog, I like the variety.

I have lived  with people that have heavy theist beliefs, such situations are draining, and my performance always under par. The desire for conformity under such a condition drains the blood from my brain case.   

Time.  I think that the concept scared me when it first entered my head, but it has been over 25 years since that time and it's hard for me to remember how I felt back then.

Existence is the tiny sausage which is sandwiched between two very large slices of non-existence.

I never believed in god or the afterlife. I certainly tried but it never felt right. I never had the experience of realizing that there was no such thing as eternal life or life after death. For me, life has always had an expiration date.

The mind is what the brain does. When the brain ceases to function the mind ceases to be. Death doesn't scare me because I won't even know that I'm dead.

"Life is a lot like a book. There's no point wondering if it has an end, it does. The point is whether you enjoyed the book or not." ( I don't know who this quote belongs to but it isn't mine.)

I am however disappointed, like I am with a good book, that I will never get know what happens next.

It does seem a shame, we get one book, while Harry Potter gets a series --

RSS

Events

Blog Posts

Labels

Posted by Quincy Maxwell on July 20, 2014 at 9:37pm 25 Comments

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service