I think the hardest part of deconverting is dealing with the fact that this is it. After being told from a young age that you will live for eternity after you die, it is sometimes hard to face reality that existance is much much shorter than originally thought. How do you all deal with this fact and get in the right mindset to best handle it?

Views: 2517

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

So, in sum, you're not telling us anything at all.

@Davyd

Did Sri Shiva say anything to you?  Have you had any sightings since?  Does your family have any history of mental illness?  How did you go about finding a Hindi temple near your home?

@Heather

1) No, not in words.  Following that experience, I did find quite a few writings from different religious traditions which seemed to be of a similar nature.

2) Nothing quite so dramatic, no.

3) I assume you mean my biological family (I was adopted), and I can't be totally sure of that, although I realize that depression and alcoholism run in the bloodline.  (Both of which I have experienced at times in my life, though not prior to the experience in question.)

4) I actually didn't.  I was living in a rural area of Pennsylvania at the time and it wasn't very religiously diverse.  Fortunately, I was attending a nominally Christian college with a well-stocked library and some professors who were quite knowledgeable regarding religion.  One of Hinduism's basic ideas is "Many paths, one truth."  I explored various religious traditions when I had the chance over the years, until I moved near a Hindu Smarta temple in Ohio and started attending there on a regular basis (until I moved to Texas, at least).  I met a scholar there who taught me a little Sanskrit and also discussed the religion from the point of view of someone born into it.  I also attended an ISKCON gathering a few times there.  Now I'm disabled and rarely leave my home, and don't really get to any churches/temples/etc.

@Davyd

Ok, but did you know your vision was Sri Shiva at the time you were having the vision - as in had you studied Hinduism previously and recognized Sri Shiva; or did you not know who Sri Shiva was until a later time when, upon reading some Hindu material, you recognized him?  How did that part work?

Yes, I fully realize it may very well have been an hallucination or mental break of some sort.

@ Davyd - In other words, you are not 100% certain of your belief. What is the price you have paid, are paying, and will pay if it was a hallucination?

So, if Ahura Mazda had revealed himself to you in a blinding light, you'd be a Zoroastrian. I guess you're just the victim of whatever god gets to you with their blinding light first.

I feel I'd be remiss if I didn't correct you here; Batman doesn't die, ever. He's Batman. That's just science.

Batman is the only major "superhero" who is 100% human and isn't really a superhero. He has no nonhuman powers. He can't shoot spiderwebs, can't deflect bullets with bracelets, can't fly, has no special senses, etc. He's just a guy in a silly suit with a lot of gadgets.

Batman has the greatest superpower of all - he's ungodly rich!

Gotta disagree with you there.... his greatest superpower of all is he's ungodly intelligent

But where does he get those wonderful toys --?

As it was before you were born, so shall it be, after you die.

RSS

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service