I think the hardest part of deconverting is dealing with the fact that this is it. After being told from a young age that you will live for eternity after you die, it is sometimes hard to face reality that existance is much much shorter than originally thought. How do you all deal with this fact and get in the right mindset to best handle it?

Views: 2535

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yes, I fully realize it may very well have been an hallucination or mental break of some sort.

@ Davyd - In other words, you are not 100% certain of your belief. What is the price you have paid, are paying, and will pay if it was a hallucination?

So, if Ahura Mazda had revealed himself to you in a blinding light, you'd be a Zoroastrian. I guess you're just the victim of whatever god gets to you with their blinding light first.

I feel I'd be remiss if I didn't correct you here; Batman doesn't die, ever. He's Batman. That's just science.

Batman is the only major "superhero" who is 100% human and isn't really a superhero. He has no nonhuman powers. He can't shoot spiderwebs, can't deflect bullets with bracelets, can't fly, has no special senses, etc. He's just a guy in a silly suit with a lot of gadgets.

Batman has the greatest superpower of all - he's ungodly rich!

Gotta disagree with you there.... his greatest superpower of all is he's ungodly intelligent

But where does he get those wonderful toys --?

As it was before you were born, so shall it be, after you die.

I get that, and I don't have a problem with it, but I'd really like to get all of the things done that I want to do before that day arrives, and that could take a couple of hundred years --

It is hard to contemplate our non-existence. We can imagine blackness but not the cessation of thought. I remember being prepared for surgery. The mask was placed on my face and I was told to count backwards from 100. I awoke four hours later with a dry mouth and no recollection of anything taking place. I am comforted by the thought that at the end of life, it really is over.

Then you can also understand the theist, "Hamlet," when he was contemplating death, "To be, or not to be," and was concerned that in his crypt, awaiting resurrection, he might have nightmares,

"To die, to sleep--
No more--and by a sleep to say we end
The heartache, and the thousand natural shocks
That flesh is heir to. 'Tis a consummation
Devoutly to be wished. To die, to sleep--To sleep--perchance to dream: aye, there's the rub,
For in that sleep of death what dreams may come
When we have shuffled off this mortal coil,
Must give us pause."

Theists see human life as a larva, which, in death, enters a pupal stage, then emerges as a butterfly - metaphorically speaking --

Actually, it's impossible to contemplate our nonexistence. Why? Because there's nothing to comtemplate. We can contemplate the effects of our nonexistence: people who will be distraught or saddened. People who will be glad. We can imagine people going through our things, selling some, keeping some, being surprised by some, shocked by some, reminiscing over some, etc. We can think about things left undone and we can be glad about some of the things we HAVE done.

But death itself isn't really subject to contemplation for there's nothing to contemplate.

This is very disconcerting for some people. Hence, you get religion which says, "Guess what. When you die it's a new beginning. Your life goes on and (blah, blah, blah) awaits you."

RSS

Religion Virus

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2015   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service