I think the hardest part of deconverting is dealing with the fact that this is it. After being told from a young age that you will live for eternity after you die, it is sometimes hard to face reality that existance is much much shorter than originally thought. How do you all deal with this fact and get in the right mindset to best handle it?

Views: 2517

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I get that, and I don't have a problem with it, but I'd really like to get all of the things done that I want to do before that day arrives, and that could take a couple of hundred years --

It is hard to contemplate our non-existence. We can imagine blackness but not the cessation of thought. I remember being prepared for surgery. The mask was placed on my face and I was told to count backwards from 100. I awoke four hours later with a dry mouth and no recollection of anything taking place. I am comforted by the thought that at the end of life, it really is over.

Then you can also understand the theist, "Hamlet," when he was contemplating death, "To be, or not to be," and was concerned that in his crypt, awaiting resurrection, he might have nightmares,

"To die, to sleep--
No more--and by a sleep to say we end
The heartache, and the thousand natural shocks
That flesh is heir to. 'Tis a consummation
Devoutly to be wished. To die, to sleep--To sleep--perchance to dream: aye, there's the rub,
For in that sleep of death what dreams may come
When we have shuffled off this mortal coil,
Must give us pause."

Theists see human life as a larva, which, in death, enters a pupal stage, then emerges as a butterfly - metaphorically speaking --

Actually, it's impossible to contemplate our nonexistence. Why? Because there's nothing to comtemplate. We can contemplate the effects of our nonexistence: people who will be distraught or saddened. People who will be glad. We can imagine people going through our things, selling some, keeping some, being surprised by some, shocked by some, reminiscing over some, etc. We can think about things left undone and we can be glad about some of the things we HAVE done.

But death itself isn't really subject to contemplation for there's nothing to contemplate.

This is very disconcerting for some people. Hence, you get religion which says, "Guess what. When you die it's a new beginning. Your life goes on and (blah, blah, blah) awaits you."

Unseen, you gotta quit trying to cheer us up --

When I was little and believed in god, I was afraid of dying because I didnt know if I was going to "heaven" or "hell". I actually had panic attacks about it. it literally kept my up at night. But now that I know or at least very certain there is no after life, that I'll merely cease to be, I'm actually comforted. I have nothing to fear because there will be nothing. Maybe I'm crazy but that makes me feel good. It gives me comfort.

You're not crazy at all Giakorina, to believe that where you will spend eternity depends entirely on the whim of some capricious god has to be frightening.

I find it liberating to no longer be worried about the afterlife. I also have a much higher appreciation for life. I even became a lot more motivated to do the things I want and experience the things I want. I learned to care more about what the people important to me thought of me as well, because the only thing I would leave behind is what people remember me by. Obviously, I don't want to die. I want lots of time to do everything I want, and that's what makes me enjoy life. If I were worried about getting into heaven or hell, I wouldn't enjoy my time here half as much. 

I've thought about this a lot, and at my young age I don't think I can get into the right mindset until I have more experience in life, because I think that if you haven't experienced much in life, then how can you understand death? Personally I think the main reason that people still believe in a diety is because they're too scared to die, hence why I see many people who profess to be xians are total hypocrites, any why theists will do anything and go to the extreme in their beliefs, just so they can earn a spot in heaven.

There's nothing to understand. We understand things by relating them to experiences we've had, but death is not an experience. Dying is an experience. Death is not.

Here is another major problem. You have no moral standard by which to live- Your morals may conflict with someone else and who is right? The one with the biggest gun. The 20th century proved that,

And yet there are far more theists in prison than atheists - go figure --

RSS

Events

Blog Posts

Labels

Posted by Quincy Maxwell on July 20, 2014 at 9:37pm 25 Comments

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service