I think the hardest part of deconverting is dealing with the fact that this is it. After being told from a young age that you will live for eternity after you die, it is sometimes hard to face reality that existance is much much shorter than originally thought. How do you all deal with this fact and get in the right mindset to best handle it?

Views: 2467

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

the entire cosmos would be like a 6 X 8 grey prison cell.  There would be no one with whom to talk - for everything would have already been said.  There would be nothing left to read or learn - all would be known.  At that point, eternity wouldn't even be started yet, and the next trillion trillion trillion years would be more than I could bear.

@ Heather - It may be possible to be happy eternally, if your brain was somehow wired or controlled to make you forget experiences so that things are new again and again and again. Kind of like an eternal groundhog day lol.

I'm up for it.

I love it! It makes me nervous thinking about existing for longer than 100 years. I just hope I leave behind happy children.

The truth is I'm glad there is no eternal life. I've never been so arrogant or self deceiving as to think, when I die I'm going to heaven because I really deserve it. I've always been bad about holding grudges, arguing with my parents, per-marital sex, fighting, etc. I'd be at the top of the list to ride the hell bound gray hound. it's good that it's all a load of crap then for me at least.

When I realized that there was probably no god, I was in your place. I felt uneasy having a mindset that disagreed with most of the population. But then I watched a video called, Science Saved my Soul. It made me feel so much better.

Here is the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6w2M50_Xdk

I hope it helps,

Patty

Thanks for sharing! :)

PattyJ - great link, thanks!

Gold, Patty, is one of the heavier elements, and does not occur naturally. Here's what I mean by that:

The original stars were comprised entirely of hydrogen. As the nuclear processes within a star "burns" hydrogen, it fuses hydrogen atoms into helium, a slightly heavier element. When stars above the size of 2.5 times the mass of our own sun, explode, as they must, that helium is blown out into space where, over time, it becomes gravitationally compressed to form another large star, which fuses the helium atoms to form yet heavier elements.

It takes the Supernovae of three successive stars, each contributing their elements to the building of the next star, to finally create the materials necessary to form a star whose planets can contain the element, gold.

That means, Patty, that the atoms that comprise you and I were not only compressed into the singularity that became the Big Bang, but were also present in the three giant stars that, one by one, exploded, then collected again to eventually form our own solar system, and us. Can you see how incredible it is that those elements just happened to be collected into the debris that formed this planet, rather than Saturn, or Jupiter, or Mercury, and came together under just the right circumstances to cause life to occur, and eventually, for you and I to be born?

We are all, as the late Carl Sagan once phrased it, "star stuff," and it is to that, that we will one day return.

Pretty amazing, isn't it?

archaeopteryx

PattyJ - here's one for you --

Dear Folks:

Very wonderful vid.

I have been in this wonderful state of mind many times. I miss them when they do not come often enough.

On the positive side, when one considers that the Christian version of the afterlife consists of spending eternity praising god (who must have SERIOUS self-esteem issues, to require so much praise), permanent death seems like such a pleasant alternative.

One shot on the wheel of life- Make it a good spin

Well, I'm Hindi.  (Probably not as popular  in an atheist forum, since we have at last count somewhere around 330 million gods.)  And death ... well, it doesn't scare me.  I've been dead before.  Not in a reincarnationist belief sense, more in a clinically dead after a car accident sense.

There is no "I."  As an attempt at an analogy: If a child pretends he's Batman, then gets called to dinner and stops pretending, does Batman die?  Such is life.

@Davyd O

Well, I'll give you one point for not just falling into the religion of your family/culture without question.  Do you mind sharing the criteria that brought you to Hinduism?

RSS

Support T|A

Think Atheist is 100% member supported

All proceeds go to keeping Think Atheist online.

Donate with Dogecoin

Members

Forum

Things you hate.

Started by Devlin Cuite in Small Talk. Last reply by kris feenstra 49 minutes ago. 156 Replies

Blog Posts

Dead man's Switch

Posted by Philip Jarrett on April 18, 2014 at 11:29pm 0 Comments

Videos

• Add Videos

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Into life hacks? Check out LabMinions.com

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

© 2014   Created by Dan.