I think the hardest part of deconverting is dealing with the fact that this is it. After being told from a young age that you will live for eternity after you die, it is sometimes hard to face reality that existance is much much shorter than originally thought. How do you all deal with this fact and get in the right mindset to best handle it?

Views: 2522

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Belief is a wonderful thing, isn't it? You believe something and you give yourself permission to act on it.

It could be that chimpanzees and wolves simply don't know what to do with a member of their circle who won't respond to them in the familiar way. To us, that kind of looks like grief but may actually be bewilderment. Actual grief, though, requires an understanding of death and mortality.

I didn't say that she knew it was dead, just that she seemed reluctant to part with it, which could be construed as evidence of love.

We can't really be sure that they do not understand though, can we? Any of the animals really.

They may know a lot more than we have discovered yet. We may never know. I don't close my mind to the possibility of this because I feel that we just don't know. Yet.

just my opinion though.

Not to be flip, honestly.

I don't have a problem with this.  But in the beginning for me, I reminded myself that I didn't exist for an eternity BEFORE my birth either.  It won't be any different.
I also used to need to remind myself to live this life fully in order to make a difference now.

Keep connecting, thinking, talking.  It will get so much easier after alot of the religious dogma falls away.

These ideas of time, life, and mind are not necessarily theistic. One can have an opinion that there are minds other than the human one, that universes can be infinite and parallel, that life is a purposeful agreement between similar beings, that the concept of "nothing" is unreal, or the subjective identity is primary etc., without being theistic.

I think the Catholics are exploiting and usurping something that can occur to any living thing.

There is a common agreement that no one living can prove what it is like to die - whether there is nothing (whatever that is) or more than nothing, the rules, as I know them, say we cannot know.

For me that was a hard concept to grasp at first.  Once I got my head around it, I was okay.  I just try to make the most of each day.  Try to be a good person, husband, friend---and to enjoy life.

The brain has different ways of distracting itself from full awareness of unpleasant thoughts, and feelings. These ways are called defense mechanisms. The way I dealt with mortality is rationalization, which is one of the major defense mechanisms. I think that living forever, and ever in a utopia where there is no conflict is very boring. So, if you just found out you are an atheist, just give yourself some time to get used to it. You might use a different defense mechanism than i did, but it will happen sooner or later. 

It may have been easier for me to handle the idea of death because before choosing Atheism, I was convinced I was going to burn forever in hell. I was already becoming jaded and disillusioned with the whole idea of the Christian Religion. I didn't care to convert to any other faith, and at the time I hadn't really considered Atheism as an option. When I finally did become an Atheist, the knowledge that I'd simply "cease" to exist was a heck of a lot more welcoming than the idea of spending all of eternity burning for some small sin or trivial mistake.

That's exactly how I felt

You were born an atheist...as we all are.

You were just brought up by parents who were brought up by parents, in a society, in a country....and so on... that are religious.

So by "choosing" atheism, you are really going back to the belief (or lack there-of) you were born with.

You didn't get to chose the religion your parents brought you up with (no options to consider).

You didn't finally become an atheist, nor did anyone else:

We are all born atheist- we are taught religion 

EXcellent point!

Kelin! How you doing? Great to see you back (my profile name used to be flower in case you don't remember me lol).

I agree and 'the where you were born and who you were born to' is one of my favorite things to point out when talking to theists.

RSS

Forum

The Shinto Flower among the Weeds of Religion

Started by Cato Rigas in Advice. Last reply by Simon Mathews 19 minutes ago. 1 Reply

What would happen...

Started by Griffin Buckerfield in Small Talk. Last reply by Simon Mathews 2 hours ago. 3 Replies

"I'm Christian and I vote."

Started by Ed in Small Talk. Last reply by Pope Beanie 13 hours ago. 39 Replies

Blog Posts

Life Condensed

Posted by Cato Rigas on October 19, 2014 at 8:30pm 0 Comments

Cool Vehicle Inspection!

Posted by Ed on October 18, 2014 at 9:03am 1 Comment

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service