So could use some advice....

I'm a glass artist...and I sell my work to a lot of different people from all over the world.(mostly chicka stuffs, hearts, jewelry, roses ect) 

I figure its best not to get into religion politics ect with my customers, right?...course not chickfila here.

BUT I keep getting custom work requests for crosses, angels.....religions symbols.  Which while I could make them...I really dont want to make them. 
About every other week I'll get an email requesting this. 

Hubby thinks I am being silly...money is money and this is a biz.

Plus turning them down is always a flopper... not that I go "no, your insane im atheist and dont make silly crosses"...but have yet to find the words.  That turn it down and keeps them reasonably happy with me. :(

Thoughts? suggestions?

Views: 673

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Breanna,

I am a woodworker who sells product online and locally in artisan shops. I recently sold a piece that was used in a jewish ceremony of some sort but it was not specifically symbolic. Having mixed emotions about producing religious ware is very understandable. I have thought about incorporating religious symbolism into some of my projects to expand my clientele base but my personal distaste for religion and it's negative impact on the planet has prevented me thus far. If the flow of personal finances tightens up in the future at some point I might need to make some concessions. Hopefully this can be avoided.

On the flip side I do plan to create some pieces having specific atheist themes or messages in the future. The millions of atheists living everywhere are certainly a valid market to consider. 

WOW  Lot of interesting points.... thank you all. 

It is a personal fulfillment mostly, as its very much something I would do if I had all the money in the world and didnt need to work another day.  Though the money comes in as I'm not rich as heck, I need the funds to continue doing this and to well, live.

Not sure I agree with the correlation between BC and not wanting to make a cross.  Im not telling people they cant buy them at all....Im not the only flame worker in the world here.  I know there are religious glass peoples.   Just questioning them coming from me.  Also not getting a cross is hardly going to impact someones life...like not getting BC can. Plus few pharmacist work for themselves, little less freedom when you are working for a greater entity, standing there representing...Walgreens ect. (also come on everyone knows the we dont belief in BC is utter BS, their actions are the opposite...98% of them have used it at some point...sooo)

I "personally" see making something like a dragon, unicorn, faerie as different.  While yes they all have the same amount of evidence...they dont hold the same negative connotations.  Least I was never chewed out or spat on for not agreeing with the Fairy king.  Nor are folks trying to change laws to avoid dragon rage or teach my kids how the pink unicorn really started the world as an alternative science.   Its just not the same level.

Seriously cracking up of the Dr Who thing.....Have to keep that one in mind.

Oh when it's a simple cross, perhaps you could claim it's just not complicated enough to be interesting to you, and you have tons of other commissions that are.

Of course it's harder to make that argument when it's an actual crucifix.

Or, "I'm booked solid for 2 years right now. Can you wait?"

You could demand an audience with the 'big guy' before you produce anything, otherwise you would be concerned that you are creating a duplicate of some work of art. Engaging in a serious fraud. ;p) 

You could come up with an atheist logo that you stamp on all your works.. e.g. flying spaghetti monster, the Atheist "A"...etc... That way, regardless of what you make it would have YOUR stamp which represents your position on it.

Add a surcharge or demand extra time. So far in my business, religion hasn't ever come into play.  But I receive various offers that, for one reason or another, aren't always as appealing as others. The "reasons" why some jobs are less appealing are not really relevant  But I prioritize: when less appealing offers come in, I demand either a little more money or a longer deadline (to help keep the schedule full). When customers refuse, I send them to the competition. Doing so ensures that the less appealing work never forces me to turn down the more appealing offers. These rules keep my business profitable and generally satisfying.

RSS

Support T|A

Think Atheist is 100% member supported

All proceeds go to keeping Think Atheist online.

Donate with Dogecoin

Members

Forum

Science Isn't About Truth

Started by Ari E. S. in Philosophy. Last reply by Unseen 25 minutes ago. 6 Replies

Videos

• Add Videos

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Into life hacks? Check out LabMinions.com

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service