This is a very interesting dichotomy proposed by our friend Professor Dawkins and brings to mind the whole, lesser of two evils argument. I would love to hear your thoughts on this.

This post is from the discussion section of the Richard Dawkins Foundations for Reason and Science's discussion section. The link to the site is here.

Support Christian missions in Africa? No, but . . .

Given that Islam is such an unmitigated evil, and looking at the map supplied by this Christian site, should we be supporting Christian missions in Africa? My answer is still no, but I thought it was worth raising the question. Given that atheism hasn't any chance in Africa for the foreseeable future, could our enemy's enemy be our friend?

Richard

alt text

Views: 190

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The only country that scores lower than the U.S. on acceptance of evolution is Turkey. Just an interesting tidbit.
Derek, I would agree Islam is backwards and less scientifically illiterate, not always the case in history. My point is the Christian nation has exacted much more death while coveting the oil in those countries.
This is a good point Jim. Bush evoked god more times then I can count when justifying his reasons for the wars.

Where are they? I've looked for them. They don't seem to exist.

I've met quiet a few of them & one is a close friend.

The fact is that most normal people won't go out of their way to condemn lunatics, specially lunatics who might just kill you if you disagree with them. And when you live in a place infested with such lunatics, then you don't even think about doing something about it.

I've met quiet a few of them & one is a close friend.

The fact is that most normal people won't go out of their way to condemn lunatics, specially lunatics who might just kill you if you disagree with them. And when you live in a place infested with such lunatics, then you don't even think about doing something about it.

Granted but there is not enough of them. They have been shamefully silent on the issue. What about showing some courage for a change?

Is it so hard to release a simple statement saying " we condemn the actions of yada yada etc". You don't need to put your life in danger. 

Now I don't know about the U.S but at least in Europe (the UK) it seems to me that moderate Muslims are not making a conscious effort to oppose the nutbags.

Is anyone even reaching out to them? I mean in the U.S. they are met with great hostility by the Jesus fundies, profiled as terrorists by the government, and yet they should take risks of alienating a portion of their own religious community as well?

Being courageous can lead to disaster, not only for you but for you family in many places.

The case of a young pakistani girl was in the news recently. Her village council ordered her to be gang raped because, her younger brother, allegedly, had an illicit relationship with a woman. How do you gather the courage to speak up when it could lead to brutal consequences for you & your family.

Being courageous can lead to disaster, not only for you but for you family in many places.

So that's it then is it? Let's do nothing out of fear of death and pain? No, I would rather die fighting for my ideas than to roll over in fear and cowardice to these bullies.

The case you mention of the young girl who was gang raped: there are thousands upon thousands of those cases. Again, why live in fear of these theocratic loons?

If those 'moderate muslims'  were only more vocal and vociferous in their condemnnation of lunacy and violence, then maybe, just maybe it would make things better.

Then again I am agnostic when it comes to believing in moderate Islam.  Hey, maybe I'm a rascist bigot? That must be it.

So that's it then is it? Let's do nothing out of fear of death and pain?

Not everyone is an activist. Most people just want to live their lives & be done with it. You can't fault them for that. And its not their lives at stake, its their families lives as well. Its one thing to face the consequences for your actions but another to have other suffer for them.

Just because you don't think that moderate muslims don't exist doesn't mean that there aren't any out there.

Not everyone is an activist. Most people just want to live their lives & be done with it. You can't fault them for that.

That's fine, I don't fault them.

Whenever there is an islamic encroachment on free society, it seems the moderates don't want to rock the boat just for the sake of it and the fanatics get away with their fear caompaign yet again.

I'll give you one example: a couple of months ago in London, there was an Islamic scientist (oxymoron?) who proposed that evolution should be compatible with Islam and should be thought in Islamic schools, mosques etc.

He was met with death threats by a small group of fanatics for even suggesting this. This is the perfect example of the difference between  Islam and Christianity. These people are laced with hateful intoxication of anything that sways away from the holy book, they are a cancer on the advancement of the species.

The muslim scientist  eventually retracted his statement out of fear. There was NO moderate condemnnation. the result was the fanatics won.

Especially lunatics who might just kill you if you disagree with them.

Which is even more reason for 'moderate' condemnnation.

So do Christians get loud and proud when condemning the bombers of abortion clinics?  Do they get loud and proud and drag their children out to counter protest the WBC rallies?  What about the Atheists who don't raise their voices whenever coworkers wax religious?  Are all these people cowards?
Although I've only met Muslims who have moved to Canada, none of them frothed at the mouth or anything. One was a good friend to me, although I have to say she obviously wasn't really devout in her religion. Another one whom I worked with recently was a pretty decent guy - very serious about abstaining from pork and alcohol, and quite a male chauvinist, but definitely not a misogynist.  He didn't wear any explosives to work either - if that counts for anything.

RSS

© 2018   Created by Rebel.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service