In one of the interminable threads that devolved into endless discussions of pedophilia a couple of months ago, I raised an academic question about whether those who were commenting could come up with a reason why pedophilia was "wrong" without relying on a Judeo-Christian cultural context.   The history, I argued, was that in Greece and to a lesser extent in Rome, pedophilia in some forms was culturally acceptable; only those pesky Christians managed to radically change the culture.

For me it was just an academic speculation, but apparently I was much closer than I had ever considered possible.

http://www.salon.com/2013/09/10/richard_dawkins_defends_mild_pedoph...

In a recent interview with the Times magazine, Richard Dawkins attempted to defend what he called “mild pedophilia,” which, he says, he personally experienced as a young child and does not believe causes “lasting harm.”

Dawkins went on to say that one of his former school masters “pulled me on his knee and put his hand inside my shorts,” and that to condemn this “mild touching up” as sexual abuse today would somehow be unfair.

Child welfare experts responded to Dawkins’ remarks with outrage — and concern over their effect on survivors of abuse.

-------

I'm just curious what people think?   Even in the midst of the groping, fondling, and raping of kids, and hiding/covering up of the crimes which occurred among clergy of my faith, it was exceptionally rare that anyone actually tried to condone it as being harmless. 

Tags: Dawkins, Richard, pedophilia

Views: 4714

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I AM curious as to why you don't change your profile from "atheist," as you're clearly not.

I would love to hear your clear explanation of why you think Im not an atheist.

"it was as though they had no idea as to what others felt."

OMG - are you hearing bells and whistles going off  in your head now archie?

Republicans?

@Angela - I saw an episode of "Criminal Minds" (don't know if you get that down under - it's about a team of FBI profilers who catch the most bizarre murderers) - the leader, Hodgener, was interviewing a serial killer, who claimed to have been abused as a child, who said, "Some of us (abuse victims) grow up to be killers," to which Hodgener replied, "Yes, and some of us grow up to catch them."

Food for thought. What tips the scales?

"Yes, and some of us grow up to catch them."

Yeah - I like that ....

like Dexter

Although I want to agree with you, Simon, my uncles parents are my grandparents, whom I had a close relationship with. Abuse was not part of their household, at least not within my view. Perhaps there is a mental instigation that had nothing to do with them. Perhaps he was abused by neighbors or school encounters. 

I don't know where this came from quite frankly. 

you're right, we have to remember that every abuser has been abused, and every bully has been bullied.

BS.

I'm also interested to learn why do a lot of children who were raised in violence never repeat the behaviour as adults.

Same reason people who weren't raised in violence use it on others. Because these  ideas like "bullies are always bullied themselves" are full of shit. Sure a lot of violence occurs because of low self-esteem, but lots of it is quite the opposite. Sometimes bullies aren't just little children secretly crying for help and understanding. Sometimes they're plain and simple megalomaniac assholes. We don't have to over-complicate things with pop-pyschology.

Well - I know for a fact that people who were abused do not necessarily go on to abuse others.  Thats just another one of those ingrained beliefs that are so hard to change.

Who doesnt love George Carlin  

I love what he said about all those women playing music during their pregnancies.  A females uterus is not a quiet world for a foetus. They hear the heart beating and it sounds like a wind tunnel in there. Its very loud in the womb.

Go kOrsan. Please continue your fine work of ripping apart the binary thinking which seems to be taking over this forum. (I'm also a George Carlin fan.)

Self-Esteem, indeed. If more people started to think in terms of OTHER'S-Esteem, we'd be living in a whole lot happier world.

Belle said:

"Lack of empathy can be "hard wired" to a degree, but if a parent fosters empathy"

and there it is - back to square #1.

Parents of the world are not fostering empathy -  this is the main issue that needs to be addressed.

Who is fostering empathy and who are the role models?

Mel, are you sure of his guilt? Kansas is notorious for falsely accusing people of child abuse.

He has admitted to inappropriate touching. He continues to blame it on others, kind of in a Michael Jackson sort of defense.

Just checking - I have friends from Kansas who tell horror stories about Kansas CPS - they've been known to create cases, to keep their budget inflated, and their court-appointed attorney's are afraid to go against a judge, for fear they won't be appointed again - children<money appears to be the equation in Kansas.

RSS

Blog Posts

Creationists Dispute

Posted by Fouad on December 24, 2014 at 7:26am 3 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service