I'm not asking anyone to divulge their private dark past or if any one has a criminal record but I'd like to know what your thoughts are on it?  It seems to me religious groups have targeted the prison population.  And I every now and then I hear some testimony of a former criminal turning his life around after finding God and now is accepted by some Christian community. 

I know this is too general.  Some of the things I'd like to see addressed are:  Do you think it is harder for someone with criminal history to get accepted in an atheist community or a Christian community?  If so is that a good thing or a bad thing and why?  Do you think in an atheist community it is best not to talk about your dark past?  Does it depend on the crime?  Do you know anyone who has turned their life around with reason instead of faith?

The only semi-famous atheist I know who got into trouble breaking some laws is John W. Loftos who wrote "Why I became an Atheist".  But if I remember correctly he was still a teenager when he did them, easily chucked off as youthful indiscretion.  And right after that he found Jesus before he became an atheist.

Views: 459

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

..um.. holy shit. This is profoundly beautiful. Thank you for sharing.

@Danny, I may have issues with your mother's methods, but hey, it got the job done! I'm pleased you turned your life around, congrats!

My momma is pretty awesome and her methods are not entirely hers. My grandmother is very conservative and our family gets the arrogance from her. Thankfully I have my fathers side of the family to keep me humble.

Very good story!

Thank you.

Welcome to the world Danny, stay out, stay free. Our lives don't belong to others, our lives belong to ourselves, not family, not friends and certainly not the system, thanks for sharing. Peace.

Gregg

RSS

Forum

FROM THE WORD OF GOD IN THE OLD TESTAMENT

Started by Stephen Gunn in Small Talk. Last reply by Stephen Gunn 3 hours ago. 10 Replies

It happened

Started by Belle Rose in Atheist Parenting. Last reply by Emperor Milos 3 hours ago. 77 Replies

Lobby

Started by Glen L in Small Talk. Last reply by captain kingsway 7 hours ago. 8 Replies

Disorders of Sex Development

Started by ɐuɐz ǝllǝıuɐp in Small Talk. Last reply by ɐuɐz ǝllǝıuɐp 17 hours ago. 13 Replies

Events

Blog Posts

Labels

Posted by Quincy Maxwell on July 20, 2014 at 9:37pm 19 Comments

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service