What is your opinion on how the world came to be? Evolution, God, what?

I was raised that God created the earth in 6 days... that seems silly to me, but Evolution seems a bit too out there too. What's your take?

Views: 1301

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I think this is interesting.  The interaction of "nature's universal drive to flourish, survive and reproduce" with "reality" produces "evolution". 

Evolution is a random drift of genes sifted through environmental (contextual) filters.

It has no purpose, no 'drive' any more than the inevitable outcome of the interaction of its constituent parts.

Evolution drives adaptation to prevailing circumstances. It also eliminates unadvantageously adapted creatures as circumstances change.

Evolution itself doesn't have a drive or purpose, except that it results in the survival of the "fittest".  But as a result of evolution, all living beings have drives to flourish, survive and reproduce.  These drives are a part of the fitness of living organisms. 

"There is grandeur in this view of life, with its several powers, having been originally breathed into a few forms or into one; and that, whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been, and are being, evolved." - Charles Darwin, On the last page of Origin of Species

Probably one of the most beautiful descriptions of evolution I've ever heard.
If you want information about evolution I would suggest http://www.talkorigins.org/

If you're into awesome science documentaries, you can't go much better than NOVA's "Evolution " series

http://youtu.be/ujYNSDYIZKw?list=PL3HgdvVQlvgzX53yHj7xm3VgNoVARwS9u
PS - I commend you for asking! Curiosity is the road to discovery...
One thing I forgot to mention:
The Theory of Evolution is an explanation of the diversity and complexity of life, but not of how life (or the world) came to be.
The Big Bang Theory is the best explanation for the origin of the universe, but fully understanding it requires a knowledge of Quantum Mechanics (which I don't have). This event is estimated to have occurred ~13-15 billion years ago.
The creation of the earth came about approximately 5 billion years ago with the creation of the solar system. The planets including earth formed from gas surrounding the sun. As for the origin of life (biogenesis) this is an unanswered question. Right now one of the best hypotheses has to do with primordial soup.

RSS

© 2019   Created by Rebel.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service