Couples who share household chores are more likely to break up.

If you want to increase the chance you and your partner will break up, help him/her with the dishes, carry out the trash, mow the lawn on alternating weeks.

Yes...

Divorce rates are far higher among “modern” couples who share the housework than in those where the woman does the lion’s share of the chores, a Norwegian study has found.

In what appears to be a slap in the face for gender equality, the report found the divorce rate among couples who shared housework equally was around 50 per cent higher than among those where the woman did most of the work.

“What we’ve seen is that sharing equal responsibility for work in the home doesn’t necessarily contribute to contentment,” said Thomas Hansen, co-author of the study entitled “Equality in the Home”.

The lack of correlation between equality at home and quality of life was surprising, the researcher said.

“One would think that break-ups would occur more often in families with less equality at home, but our statistics show the opposite,” he said.

The figures clearly show that “the more a man does in the home, the higher the divorce rate,” he went on. (source)

The conclusion wasn't that sharing duties around the home damages the marriage, but that "modern" couples who divide up the work also have different attitudes toward and a lower commitment to marriage than more traditional couples.

In the past there were studies showing that couples that live together before marriage—believing that doing so would help them better decide whether to tie the knot—actually divorced in considerably higher numbers than those who lived apart before marriage. The explanation then was similar: such couples are less committed to marriage to start with and, thus, are more likely to bail when it doesn't meet their perceived needs as well as they thought.

Are freethinkers bad bets if you want a marriage to last? What do YOU think?

Tags: chores, divorce, marriage

Views: 762

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It's very dangerous and presumptuous to assume that people whose beliefs and values differ from yours are brainwashed. It devalues their opinions through the fallacy of poisoning the well.

My mother was a traditional housewife and I don't believe it had anything to do with religion. She was being traditional, but that's a whole different ballgame from being brainwashed.

Adam was illustrating a possible skewing of the statistical information gathered on this subject.  I agree with him in this respect.  This is not a criticism of 'stay-at-home' parents, merely a commentary on the statistical evaluation for divorce ratios.

It's not a "fallacy" when there is a categorical truth to it. Abrahamic religious upbringings for women always have a set of social parameters within them that women are to follow and be custom to. 

Your mother could definitely be an anomaly to the example above or it could be that she is following a social standard that is seen as a norm rather than "brainwashing" because of deeply religious influence in society. For example a woman growing up in the 50s will tend be more of a "good christian housewife" than a woman growing up in 2013. 

As you can see, it still goes back to how religion was used to carve up the roles of men and women in society for a long time.

First off, what gives you the idea that being a housewife (defined as a woman who does cooking and maintains the nest) is somehow uniquely associated with any religion or family of religions at all? In many ways, it's a logical division of labor under many circumstances where the male is the logical one to go out and bring home the bacon. 

Don't play dumb with me, you know exactly where that mentality came from. There wasn't much option for women back then other than the usual get married, have kids and raise children while doing all the house chores. You know very well male dominated societies are a product theocratic societies.

lot of those cultural norms are rooted from religious cultural influence on society.

Get out from that kitchen,
And rattle those pots and pans,
Well, roll my breakfast,
'Cause I'm a hungry man

(Bill Haley and the Comets in 1954)

Times have changed, and somehow I'm not sure these lyrics would sell as well as they did 60 years ago...

I tried ironing a shirt once but the sleeve kept getting sucked up the hose pipe thingy. I have no dishwasher or bottle opener on Sundays as they both take that day off.

RSS

Blog Posts

Life Condensed

Posted by Cato Rigas on October 19, 2014 at 8:30pm 1 Comment

Cool Vehicle Inspection!

Posted by Ed on October 18, 2014 at 9:03am 2 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service