Normally a military coup is bad. However, this coup seems to have short-circuited what might have become a takeover by the Islamic Brotherhood, a group that would like to turn Egypt into an officially Islamic state under Sharia law.

Obviously, one is bound to have mixed feelings about the military deposing a democratically-elected President and his government. However, does this coup seem more like a good thing or a bad thing?

Tags: Egypt, coup, military

Views: 152

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I think we should be thinking about the overthrow of Morsi as an extension of the revolution in Egypt that got rid of Mubarak two years ago. After the revolution, the military called for elections as soon as possible because a stable government is economically beneficial to them. Unfortunately, Islamists also wanted early elections because they already had a political infrastructure that would help them gain control while the young liberal population didn't and required more time to organize. Egyptians had to choose between the Muslim Brotherhood and the same politicians from the Mubarak era.

The fact that more people protested against Morsi than voted for him originally, should show that he was not a legitimate leader of Egypt and therefore his deposition by the military should not be treated as a regular coup d'etat.

One problem in modern new democracies is that the factions don't have a history of cooperation, compromise, and deal-making. Thus, while the totality of parties opposed to the Islamic Brotherhood represented a greater segment of the population than the Islamists, most of them took an all or nothing attitude to winning the election for their particular party.

Let's see if the various groups opposing the Islamic Brotherhood can get past their conflicting interests in order to defeat the Islamic Brotherhood. Hopefully they've analyzed their loss and are willing to make concessions and compromises in the interests of keeping the Islamic Brotherhood out, because most pundits in and out of Egypt believe that Morsi (also spelled Morsy) was consolidating power and would have restructured things to virtually guarantee favorable elections in the future.

They are sick of the Muslim Brotherhood since the day they came to power,, they began to change to country into an Islamic,, I was afraid that Egypt will turn into another Saudi Arabia,, I konw how theocracy looks like,,

I think they did a good job, I've been reading all about "Tamarud" for 2 mothes..

They  worked so hard for it,, they were collecting signatures against Mursi.. More than 22 million signatures (a very huge number) They've been calling it "The real Arab Spring"
Encouraging the other Arab states to do the same thing against Islamists..

I think that we should call it " the will of Egypt's people" and not a coup,,,
A coup did happen, yes,, but, the army officers are already secularists (the coup is not surprising at all )

So, it's the will of the Egypt's people + the army agreed too :-)

And, no worries,, the old regime wont come back to power because El-Baradei was against the old regime too..

The coup is a good thing :)

I certainly dont think its the best solution, but it is better. Politics and religion is mixed strongly with the Sharia law, and I think they should never mix. Mosque and state should be separate as much as church and state should be separate. I dont like militarized culture either, but it seems to be a better deal than religious extremists.

Why don't you ask these guys?

If, as some seem to believe, we just saw Egypt swerve off the Islamist road it has been on, then that's probably a good thing.

It's going to depend on who ends up in control.  If it's more of the same, then it was neither good nor bad.  If this gives an Egyptian Saddam Hussein an opening to take control, then it will have been a bad thing.

Playing devil's advocate, here we have a military overthrowing a democratically elected governement and according to CNN today, they just killed 40+ protesters. I think we can assume many more will die before this whole thing is over. Perhaps the opposition should have done what we do in the US: wait until the next election. Might it not have been better had they at least done that and only revolted when there was evidence of funny business at election time.

David Gardner states in his book "Last chance" about politics in the Middle East that unrest is the only thing that will change the authoritarian structures and that western politicians are far too keen to keep the status quo at the price of maintaining a bad structure. It seems to me that Morsi was getting back in the old authoritarian tradition by giving himself more power and pursue religious minorities (please correct me if im wrong) and that the coup is a good thing, because it keeps the status quo away as long as it takes to really change the structure.

waiting for the next election would maybe mean accepting a new one party-democracy with the brothers as the only real party?

RSS

Atheist Sites

Blog Posts

In Avoidance of Anger

Posted by Pope Beanie on November 27, 2014 at 4:59pm 0 Comments

The plane that never crashed

Posted by Brazillian atheist on November 27, 2014 at 12:17pm 1 Comment

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service