Possibly a deist god?

Please note, I am not saying that this does prove a god, I am simply asking a question. I am concerned about this particle being referred to as "The God Particle". 

Why is it called The God Particle? Is this an attempt to be very misleading or is there some other reason it was called this?

Tags: atheism, deism, existence, god, of

Views: 1479

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yep, journalists continue to use the name though, because it is catchy and it makes people read their articles. That's all..

Ok, this is just a troll, isn't it?  The video, if you actually watched it, explains how the misnomer 'god particle' came into being.  Given that explanation - why would you think the existence of the particle would give the slightest implication of a deistic god?  Yes, I'm certain that this is just a troll.

I'm not trolling, I just don't understand it. The point of me questioning it is to understand it. I don't even believe in god anyway. But sometimes you just have to question things to be sure. Science isn't my forte so sometimes I misunderstand many areas of it. 

The name has a couple of implications. From what I have read it is being referred to as the "God particle" because the Higgs boson was the particle present at the exact moment of the Big Bang.....giving "life" to the Universe and allowing everything to have shape, mass, and weight.  It confirms the Standard model and supports the Big Bang theory and suggests that our Universe could have possibly come from another universe, a parallel universe, or we could have been "recycled". In any regard it can potentially disprove the creation story hence the Bible (bor-ring) but more importantly give rise to new fantastic technologies only dreamed about within the scientific community.

@Kara H Bickford

I apologize for saying you were 'dead wrong'.  As it turns out, saying your were 'dead wrong' was 'dead wrong'.  Reg the Fronkey Farmer has given us what seems to be the most accurate answer and it reflects very much what you have said.

It'll be a few years late but we will finally have our floating skateboards!

Ok, I have no idea what was considered 'harsh' about my reply.  Kara - dead wrong.  Just watch the video and they tell you that one of the first guys to write about it called it 'that god damned particle' but his editors shortened it to 'god particle'.  There is nothing religious about the nickname - it was just the way it got edited.

She isn't exactly "dead wrong". That was the suspected original source of the term "god particle" but since then it has taken on other reasons for the name. I don't like the name "god particle" but it never had any religious connotations and Kara was not implying that it does. The Higgs would literally be responsible for everything in existence. Without going in to too much detail, the ratio of matter to antimatter at the moment of creation only makes sense with the existence of the Higgs.

And no the word creation does not imply a god or gods or anything supernatural.

No offense Heather, but when someone is seeking knowledge on a forum in an honest manner. We tend to take offense to being accused of trolling, its insulting. I'm not going to start an argument about that on Think Atheist, just pointing it out. Thats all I'm going to say on this

Réasúnach - The video, at about 2 minutes and 20 seconds in, tells you that Lederman, who wrote 'The God Particle" wanted to call it 'the god damn' particle.  Did you even watch the video?  This is why I thought your message was a troll, because you cited a video that named the guy who named the particle and told you that he didn't want to call it the 'god particle' which, I would think, would inspire you to type 'lederman god damn particle' into google.

Furthermore, if I'm being a bit terse about this it's because I've caught at least 100 skypilots on youtube trying to tie the LHC discovery to their Bronze Age superstitions and it's really pissing me off.

Yes I did.

"this discovery confirms, long held passionate BELIEFS about our universe" (2:32)

That is the very line of the video in which got me thinking that at least someone is claiming that the Higgs Boson has something to do with a deity existing. I know realize that is far from the case.

However I can understand your frustration Heather. Only today I posted a question on Yahoo Answers about evolution and every single response I received was from a Christian telling me "evolution" will not get me salvation and telling me its never been proven as factual. And that pissed me off, because these superstitious people are holding back science and I totally get that. 

Heather, don't be so harsh :)

RSS

Forum

Torture Report release today

Started by Unseen in Ethics & Morals. Last reply by Simon Mathews 36 minutes ago. 113 Replies

My Grandpa died last week

Started by Physeter in Small Talk. Last reply by Simon Mathews 1 hour ago. 6 Replies

Great retorts

Started by Unseen in Quotes. Last reply by Wesley 7 hours ago. 13 Replies

Is There Any Ex-Mennonites or Ex-Amish On This Site?

Started by Jessica Miller in Advice. Last reply by Physeter 11 hours ago. 25 Replies

Blog Posts

Pabst Blue Ribbon to the rescue!

Posted by Ed on December 15, 2014 at 9:33pm 0 Comments

Finally, a cool billboard in Arkansas!

Posted by Ed on December 15, 2014 at 8:21am 2 Comments

Atheist Sites

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service