Possibly a deist god?

Please note, I am not saying that this does prove a god, I am simply asking a question. I am concerned about this particle being referred to as "The God Particle". 

Why is it called The God Particle? Is this an attempt to be very misleading or is there some other reason it was called this?

Tags: atheism, deism, existence, god, of

Views: 1479

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

from wiki....

"Lederman said he gave the Higgs boson the nickname "The God Particle" because the particle is "so central to the state of physics today, so crucial to our final understanding of the structure of matter, yet so elusive,"[5][6][7] but jokingly added that a second reason was because "the publisher wouldn't let us call it the Goddamn Particle, though that might be a more appropriate title, given its villainous nature and the expense it is causing."[5][8]"

so as you can see, it is not about GOD, but god in the sense that it is a concept that is at the root of all understanding of physics... i like his explanation about it's elusiveness and how he compared it to a god who will not reveal himself... because he isn't there... scientists do not generally use this term, but the right wing media love it.. it is,however, a very concrete proof that god was and is not needed for this universe to exist...

I recall reading it in the '90's, but I didn't remember his explanation of the name - thanks for clearing that up, James.

Is it a very concrete proof?  Not just a slightly concrete proof?  Good. 

How is the Higgs Boson proof of the non-existence of God?  The Higgs Boson is part of the Universe.  God made the Universe.  God is not the Universe. 

Simon - RE: "God made the Universe."

Which god was that?

Why don't you know? It HAS to be Ahura Mazda, the god of the Zoroastrians. Nominating any other god would be sacrilege!

Call it bias, but I've always been partial to Odin --

I know, I'm an atheist.  But that remains a valid idea. 

DITO!

Brindle,

Understanding where the Higgs Boson originated requires an understanding of math not taught in Sunday school.  If you want to know, go get a college degree - otherwise, just pretend it never happened, just like evolution, global warming, and your childhood indoctrination to a Bronze Age death cult.

For starters, Brindle, it takes an understanding of what the Higgs actually is, and that requires an understanding of the basics of Quantum mechanics - a topic on which I, like most here, am only a layman.  There is a lot of information available to you, but you are too obstinately ignorant to go out and read it.  You can't read it, because it gives you a buzzing feeling just above and behind your eyes; that feeling is called cognitive dissonance.  It comes from your inability to process facts that contradict your indoctrination to a Bronze Age cult.  The dogma of that cult cannot stand up to a modern, scientific view of the world, and so you wander the interwebz, a scientifically ignorant cult devotee, thinking that your inability to understand quantum mechanics, and the average atheists inability to teach your concrete mind, means that you've proved that physics is 'wrong'.

I'm not about to debate anything scientific with you until you at least crack through enough of your brainwashing to soak up some basics of relevant theory. Engaging you before that would be like trying to debate the basics of grammar with a 3 year old.

No, Brindle - you are not interested in getting a response to the question.  The answer you seek is found in science textbooks - I`ve told you that, but you already knew that.  That you are here asking that question of layman is just a rhetorical strategy for trying to insert your god of the gaps.

If you were truly interested in a discussion of quantum physics you would be in college right now having that discussion.

@Brindle

Let me put it this way.  If I wanted to know something factual about the Higgs Boson, or any facet of quantum mechanics, there are literally dozens of forums populated by PhD.s where I could pose my questions.  Why then, would YOU chose to bypass all those forums and ask your question of Atheists instead?  I mean, if you legitimately wanted answers, why would you bypass the experts and opt to go, instead, to those who simply do not share your world view?  Explain that, and I'll see YOU as being non-confrontational.

RSS

Blog Posts

Pabst Blue Ribbon to the rescue!

Posted by Ed on December 15, 2014 at 9:33pm 0 Comments

Finally, a cool billboard in Arkansas!

Posted by Ed on December 15, 2014 at 8:21am 2 Comments

Atheist Sites

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service