Possibly a deist god?

Please note, I am not saying that this does prove a god, I am simply asking a question. I am concerned about this particle being referred to as "The God Particle". 

Why is it called The God Particle? Is this an attempt to be very misleading or is there some other reason it was called this?

Tags: atheism, deism, existence, god, of

Views: 1449

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

No!

Care to elaborate?

Why would anyone think it could?

They are calling it "The God Particle". I'm not saying that it is, but I'm trying to understand why it would be called this. 

They nicknamed it the God particle because of its significance.  This particle gives all other particles mass.  Without this particle, the universe would just be a soup bowl of particles zooming around at the speed of light.  There would be no stars, planets, galaxies....and no you and me.  Hence, it is called the god particle.  It's a metaphor. 

Because Leon Lederman wrote a book of the same name. He wanted to call it 'The God-Damn Particle' but he couldn't publish profanities in the title, hence the edited version. It's got nothing to do with a deity. That and the metaphor for it's importance.

Leon Lederman, an atheist physicist, coined the term much to the dismay of Peter Higgs who first potulated the existence of the Higgs Boson. Lederman used the phrase as part of his 2006 book The God Particle: If the Universe is the Answer, What is the Question? Despite the unfortunate name of his book, Lederman was not making the case for any kind of deity.

Kim's reply is a pretty succint explanation of the importance of the Higgs Boson

I just called a pretzel "The God Pretzel." That means God might exist, right? It might even prove it!

Sounds delicious.

It was actually called the goddam particle in an article about it because it was "so goddam hard to find" and the name god particle was the result of a misprint that an editor ran with. It is nothing more than an unfortunate misnomer that has nothing to do with the nature of the Higgs boson. 

the only thing that MIGHT prove the existance of ANY god is a physical revelation of said being. short of that, theories and apologists bullshit don't prove anything other than men make up shit when they want to believe something they can't prove!

just sayin'

James d - long time! I'm thinking that if the Higgs Boson had anything to do with god, the stone would never have needed to be rolled away from the tomb - Yeshua could simply have nullified the charge from the "God" Particle, flown apart, then reassembled on the other side, assuming he could find all of his atoms. Of course, that would be kinda like looking for an atom in an atom stack --

RSS

Support T|A

Think Atheist is 100% member supported

All proceeds go to keeping Think Atheist online.

Donate with Dogecoin

Videos

• Add Videos

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Into life hacks? Check out LabMinions.com

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service