Possibly a deist god?

Please note, I am not saying that this does prove a god, I am simply asking a question. I am concerned about this particle being referred to as "The God Particle". 

Why is it called The God Particle? Is this an attempt to be very misleading or is there some other reason it was called this?

Tags: atheism, deism, existence, god, of

Views: 1465

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Dustin, you have to understand that Heather is, well -- como se dice -- Heather --

There actually are people who do not understand these things.

And the Higgs is a very hard thing to understand.

Not everyone is as smart as you Heather.

Exactly, after all atheist ≠ scientist. And I am clearly no scientist lol

The term “God Particle” was coined to promote a book about the search for the Higgs Boson. It was coined by the book publishers or their ad agency rather than scientists. Most Scientists would have used the term “goddamn particle” because it was so elusive. It only exists for about a millionth of a billionth of a billionth of a second and even then is only traced by following its path of decay. Its discovery is on a par with the first heart transplant or man landing on the moon or the discovery of bacteria.

It helps complete the Standard model that physicist use to describe the nature of matter. Basically it is to physics what Evolution is to biology. The Higgs Boson is the sub atomic particle that gives mass to atoms (matter). Without it everything would just “float” around the Universe and be without mass, like photons of light. It allows atoms to gain mass and interact or bind with each other. Without it atoms would not have formed stars or planets or gases or us. Everything is made of atoms. The Higgs Boson is the spark that gives energy (energy = mass) to atoms.

The building blocks of all matter were created at the Big Bang – within the first trillionth of the first second. Then the Higgs bosons began to their work and started give “life” or energy to the massless atoms. This is what happened. They are 99.999999% certain of this. We are all made of those atoms.
Therefore it is reasonable to describe it as the God Particle. However it must be understood that the term “God” is not used in the sense of it being a specific deity but rather as a descriptive metaphor.

Of course the Theists will be telling us soon that their book knew this all along because it is their gods word and he made the particle on day one. Not many gaps left to hide in now is there? Come on out and show yourself. We can detect invisible particles that exist for about 10 to the minus 24 and yet their god remains perfectly hidden except in their minds.

Reasunach - eolaithe a dhéanamh go maith !!

This is one of the most important scientific discoveries ever made.  And what does the average American think about it?  Yaawwwwn!  Americans, by and large, have no interest in or understanding of science.  Americans are not taught science properly, if at all, in school.  I've yet to meet an American, for instance, who understands evolution, the core organizing principle of all biology.  Nor do they WANT to understand it.  Americans are far more interested in religious and other paranormal concepts.  The supposedly science-centered TV channels, like Discovery, TLC, and National Geographic cater instead to the idiots who buy into bigfoot searches, flying saucer speculations, and other such supernatural nonsense.   The Higgs boson?  Who in the U.S. gives a damn?

As to its being called the "God particle"?  So?  They can call it Waldo Kleinbar, for all I care.

Aren't you painting with a rather broad brush Dale? You say, "I've yet to meet an American, for instance, who understands evolution" -- Howdy! Now you have --

Would any self respecting 'God' allow itself to be cornered in a cloud chamber, let alone be accelerated to 99.99999% the speed of light without some compensation? If so, we can just about can guess it's weight. If it is 'God', it sure did not last long..;p)

'The god particle' started out as "Where is this god-damned particle' to 'god-damned particle' to 'god particle'. The usual evolution of words :) An Australian Scientist by the name of Karl Kruszelnicki explained it on the News.  Karl is also an avowed Atheist.

@Reasunach - I think you still have remnants of xianity in the back of your subconscious - which I understand. The indoctrination you have gone through as an Irish catholic is profound, and really hard to get rid of totally, and every now and again rears it's head.   And that is okay, I am sure you are aware of this. The god particle has NOTHING to do with god, it is unfortunate that the original saying The god-damned particle got whittled down to god particle.   But, many brownie points to Ireland for telling the Vatican to get stuffed over the vatican's handling of the rampant pedophilia, and protecting these shites at the vatican. Bravo.

Let me assure you my Catholic faith is long gone, I renounced my faith when I was 18 years old. I am slightly open to the ideal of a deistic notion of a god, but cannot believe in such a being due to lack of evidence. I've examined the bible close enough to know that it is bogus. 

All I'm doing it simply questioning literally everything, and seeking truth. As it so happens the truth is still bringing me to atheism. Thats what makes sense to me. 

And yes indeed the Vatican can take its egotistical holier than though attitude and take it where the sun no longer shines. 

I now understand perfectly that The God Particle has nothing to do with any concept of any deity. All I'm trying to do is understand things better. So thank you

I heard a good one yesterday.  They'll have to stop calling it a "god" particle now that they have evidence of it's existence.  :)

Of all of the one-liners I wish I'd thought of first (and by the end of the day, I'll be claiming I did!) THAT has to top the list!http://api.ning.com/files/uso0NvsEja148qMhgTl5tcWI-occJ79jQ2Z-m*UHkmJUfwm0R4ANrFKHS2jyJmoRHF13Bsf5ewFRdxSMCaNajbLQIZ2nJ5s4/icon_roflmao.gif

Great find, Katerin!

RSS

Blog Posts

My Dad and the Communist Spies

Posted by Brad Snowder on August 20, 2014 at 2:39pm 0 Comments

Breaking Free

Posted by A. T. Heist on August 20, 2014 at 9:56am 4 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service