So the myth that autistic kids is just as prevalent as before, we just know more about it now...Is just that. A myth. Today according to the CDC about 1 in 70 kids have autism, and about 1 in 5 kids in the US have some sort of developmental brain impairment. That is STAGGERING!

Genetics are most definitely NOT the culprit according to epidemiologists. It's most definitely environmental, and may be in part due to genetics, but something is happening in our environment

It turns out there is the beginning of some evidence that may support this, at least in part.

https://www.autismspeaks.org/blog/2013/01/18/breastfeeding-and-auti...

Could it be as simple as needing to eat a healthy diet free from GMO's, drinking clean water, with a mostly plant based diet, and nursing our babies the way nature intended? Is that too simple of a solution to prevent autism?

I wonder.....

What do you think?

Views: 545

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Breast feeding rights and encouragement have a long fight ahead of them in some places sadly. The same goes for [informed] mothers who don't breast feed who want to (and should be) left alone.

+1. My hackles always get a bit raised when I see anything that implies if you don't breastfeed your kids will be messed up (at least the article was careful to avoid this). It's true that women who breastfeed need more support, especially when doing it in public spaces, but I feel like there's another side that shames women who don't breastfeed (e.g. the "breast is best" sentiment; it may be best for some or even most, but for others it isn't). My siblings and I weren't breastfed and we turned out fine.

My hackles always get a bit raised when I see anything that implies if you don't breastfeed your kids will be messed up

I didn't mean to come across like that. I do however fully admit to having a very strong bias in favor of breastfeeding, probably to a fault.

From a sustainablility stand point, the fact that our nation (I'm specifically addressing the U.S) has gotten away from breastfeeding our own young, and has culturally accepted bottle feeding with formula as MORE of the norm - no longer the exception (in cases of orphans, etc) and the fact that we do not question this norm, and consider what is actually IN the formula, we just allow the USDA to tell us it's just fine. I don't believe it's "fine." I think it is a contributing factor to childhood obesity.

Meanwhile, other countries are starving.... it begs of the question, - Why do we here in the U.S feel so entitled that we have chosen NOT to feed our infants the way that gives them the best chance at a healthy beginning, and are rich enough to afford to buy formula, and yet we turn around and throw the plastic containers into landfills, adding further to the CO2 emissions, and feel like that's OK, when it's incredibly easy to just nurse our own babies in the first place. How about that? Why are we allowing ourselves to be culturally conditioned to think that we are actually WRONG for nursing our babies beyond the first year?

I got a LOT of flack from people, so yes, I have a strong opinion about it. I was most definitely not supported in my decision TO breastfeed. Not from anyone really. I'm upset that women who choose to breastfeed are SUCH the minority, and that no one questions...WHY? Formula was not meant to become the staple for infants who have mothers who are fully capable of nursing. It was developed for infants without mothers.

Anyway....I guess I'm very bias because of my own experiences as being ridiculed so much. But I honestly wouldn't change my decision for anything in the world. I'm sure mothers who feed with formula might say the same thing. I don't know. Do they? Formula is expensive. It's sub-par. I seriously don't understand the draw. Maybe this whole myth that it preserves your figure? I don't know. I just don't get it. Maybe if I talked with a mother who bottled fed formula and loved every minute of it I might get a different perspective. But the way I see it. I think women NOT being encouraged to breastfeed is just one more way we are being controlled, and told what we can and can't do with our bodies. Feel free to tell me where I'm wrong. I'm not claiming to be right, just opinionated, lol

There are numerous reasons mother's don't breast feed. Some completely understandable...a few not so admirable.

• The mother suffers from Postpartum-depression. 
  • The mother has a condition she might pass onto the baby
  • There is something wrong with the milk or she doesn't lactate easily (or at all)
  • The mother finds the whole process uncomfortable or even painful
  • The mother finds the whole process disturbing
  • The mother simply doesn't feel like doing it
  • The mother has a non-stop schedule
  • The mother is extremely uncomfortable doing it in front of anyone and finds that too limiting to start breast feeding at all.
  • The mother is resentful of having a child
  • The mother has been deceived into thinking formula is best

A few reasons.

It is for many of the above rerasons that we have Milk Banks here that mother's can draw upon - anything to reduce the need to turn to formulas !

Plastics in landfills emit CO2? I have not heard that before. I think it's more in their production and if they are burned that there is a problem I thought.

Plastics are horrible for the environment.

You make very good points Belle, and of course I'm 100% in favor of women choosing to breastfeed; but as Davis said there are reasons for choosing not to. Basically, it should be up to the individual mother to decide what's best and no one should give her crap for it. But you know how it can be for women...you're damned if you do and you're damned if you don't. :)

It's not at all about condeming the mothers. Not at all.

I'm more concerned of the lack of accountability of the manufacturers of our food and the food packaging. In the United States we do not use the "precautionary principle" the way Europe does for example. In other words, we have companies making products that haven't been tested for safety and/or toxicity, and our general public is MUCH less aware than we should be about these issues. When you consider:

1. The ingredients in formula

2. The packaging it's stored in

3. The bottles and pacifiers that babies chew on...

I could make an extremely large case for multiple products being unsafe. It's not about the idea that formula itself is bad, it's the lack of oversight and proper testing that it's safe and the fact that if a baby is breastfed, they are exposed to NONE of these toxic substances, vs and baby who is bottle fed exclusively....

It's not about making the mother feel guilty. It's about raising public awareness that many products - including baby formula and the plastics they are stored in could be the elements contributing to the weakened immune system, and auto-immune diseases that we are seeing skyrocket at an alarming rate.

AND the fact that women are not encouraged to breastfeed by the general population...It's really more of a public health concern, and a social justice issue. If formula was only used for children without mothers to nurse them, I think we would see much healthier kids in our country. 

And then on the other hand, Europe will irradiate food.  As a result they can sell milk at room temperature.

We, on the other hand, run around with our hair on fire because it's "radiation."

I didn't know that. Interesting.

Americans are almost as crazy about radiation as the Japanese (and with the Japanese, it's far more understandable, of course). 

We live with radiation all around us all day long. 

The resistance to irradiated food (which does not mean "radioactive food") is just plain nuts, especially when you consider the spoilage that would be prevented which would reduce the acreage devoted to crops and the amount of rotting food contributing methane to the atmosphere. 

Between that and the paranoia around nuclear energy, our environmentally conscious people are their own worst enemy much of the time.

RSS

© 2021   Created by Rebel.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service