Could Joseph Stalin's religious upbringing have contributed to his state of mind and actions?

I'm not going to pop on the internet and tell you all a big lie that Joseph Stalin was a dedicated Christian, truth is he wasn't he eventually denounced his faith. However, he was indeed raised as Christian, not only that at the ripe young age of 16 he received a scholarship to a Georgian Orthodox seminary. 

From what I've read on this background as a youth growing up, he was mistreated by the religious authorities, causing him to rebel. An official soviet record even goes to suggest that Stalin was expelled for reading "illegal literature". I think its more than obvious what went on here, the religious authorities were clearly trying to censor young Stalin, by getting rid of him completely by expelling him from the seminary. 

They certainly didn't encourage him to question everything or apply critical thinking, they tried to control him and it clearly backfired. 

Is it not quite evident that Stalins mistreatment of this religious order had a damaging effect on his mind and that in of itself was the cause of his corruption and complete hatred for religions and the religious? If they had of been more accepting of his views would he have become a communist I wonder? 

Is it not possible that even though he rejected religion it left a psychological scar on him?

Source:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_stalin#Early_life

[see references as proof of legitimacy of this Wikipedia article]

Tags: atheism, christianity, communism, russia, stalin

Views: 182

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I read about Stalin recently that he was manic depressive. The manic depression along with paranoia were the main culprits in his extreme aggressive pursuit of power.  We know though how hard religion can be on young and impressionable minds. 

Hitler was raised a catholic and used it in his speeches to control and manipulate. People will do anything for god and country.

Another very important factor to acknowledge. This reinforces my views. Thanks

Although I have no doubt that Stalin's religious upbringing shaped him, I cannot help but wonder what else shaped him.  Most people have a need for 'certainty' - even if that means being certainly wrong.  In Stalin's case, what certainty could he achieve after losing his faith and Tsar?  There was no model available to him.

Communism moved into the unknown, lacking a role model.  Stalin also had no Atheist social model to study.  He wasn't a nation unto himself, and if he understood one thing it was that 'the people' looked for certainty in their leader.  I think he tried to provide that, even when he knew full well that he had no idea what the fuck he was doing.

This is part of the reason I've been giving more thought to Humanism.  Atheism doesn't provide morality, a model for government, or a basis for family - nor should it.  I don't feel as compelled to find certainty as most people, but I feel that choosing some acceptable (if not arbitrary) 'foundation' for a worldview is necessary when it comes to arguing morality, government model, etc.

RSS

Events

Blog Posts

Labels

Posted by Quincy Maxwell on July 20, 2014 at 9:37pm 24 Comments

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service