UPDATE 2: The contest has now concluded! Thanks everyone for their entries and RT's. Remember to tune in for the show tonight to see if you've won!
UPDATE: THE CONTEST IS NOW LIVE! Copy and paste the following tweet to enter the contest: "I'm a member of @ThinkAtheist & I want a copy of John Loftus' The End of Christianity http://bit.ly/pgxBD7 #atheism #skepticism #christianity"
Copy and paste the entire tweet between the quotation marks (leave off the quotes). Tweets that are not exact won't be recognized by our tracking and will certainly be missed and therefore can't be considered as entries. Don't miss out because you didn't copy and paste!
Alright, we're at the point now where we can start to release the details of our newest contest! Three Think Atheist members will win a signed copy of Mr. John Loftus's new anthology The End of Christianity. (Amazon, Amazon UK, B&N)
Mr. Loftus is the founder of the fantastic site Debunking Christianity. He has joined us on the show before and joins us again for a short segment on the book. In addition, we have had a few of the other contributors to the book join us, including Valerie Tarico (Trusting Doubt), Robert Price (Incredible Shrinking Son of Man), Richard Carrier (Sense and Goodness Without God), Matt McCormick (Atheism: Proving The Negative), and now Hector Avalos (The End of Biblical Studies), plus we'll be airing our interview with another contributor, Jaco Gericke, soon! Make sure you check out our interviews with them and consider purchasing their books!
The description of The End of Christianity reads as follows:
In this successor volume to his critically acclaimed first anthology, The Christian Delusion: Why Faith Fails, John Loftus—a former minister and now a leading atheist spokesperson—has assembled a stellar group of respected scholars to continue the critique of Christianity begun in the first volume. The contributors include Victor Stenger, Robert Price, Hector Avalos, Richard Carrier, Keith Parsons, David Eller, and others. Loftus is the author of Why I Became an Atheist: A Former Preacher Rejects Christianity. Taken together, the Loftus trilogy poses formidable challenges to claims for the rationality of the Christian faith.
The first part considers the wildly improbable nature of basic Christian tenets; the lack of agreement among diverse Christian sects regarding the essential Christian message; and a counter argument to the popular Christian claim that it was incredible that the Christian faith arose if it wasn't true in the first place.
The second part analyzes the role of ancient Near Eastern myth in the creation of the Bible, revealing that the image of God depicted there is a projection of evolving human needs during the Iron Age beginning with polytheism.
In the third part, the contributors critique the Christian doctrines of the atonement, hell, and the resurrection.
The final part considers the incompatibility of religion and science, reviews claims for intelligent design and life after death, and advances the proposition that science can help discover morality.
Students and scholars with an interest in the philosophy of religion will find this compilation of incisive critical essays to be intellectually stimulating and deeply thought provoking.
Here are the contest details:
1) The contest is open to members of Think Atheist with a Twitter account. Create one now so that you're prepared ahead of time for the contest.
2) The contest will be held 9AM Friday August 5th to 12PM Sunday August 7th. (All times are Eastern US. Here's a timezone converter for those in other timezones around the world.)
3) You will be considered to have entered the contest when, as a Think Atheist member, you take to Twitter between the hours of 9AM Friday August 5th and 12PM Sunday August 7th to follow Think Atheist on Twitter and tweet a specific phrase. UPDATE: The contest entering tweet is: "I'm a member of @ThinkAtheist & I want a copy of John Loftus' The End of Christianity http://bit.ly/pgxBD7 #atheism #skepticism #christianity" Copy and paste it to be sure you get it right and therefore to be sure your entry counts! Create your Twitter account, join Think Atheist if you're not already a member. Get tweeting!
4) One entry per person. Multiple entries will not count and may result in your being excluded from the contest entirely!
5) At the conclusion of the contest we will randomly draw 3 numbers corresponding to 3 entries. Winners will be announced on the Think Atheist Radio Show on August 7th beginning at 5PM Pacific/8PM Eastern*. Make sure you tune in to the show to see if you've won! (Remember, if you can't listen live you can listen to the show from the archive at any time immediately following its having aired live!) *Should any of the chosen entrants not be verified as Think Atheist members and as followers of Think Atheist on Twitter we will then randomly select another entrant. This will continue until such time as we have 3 verified Think Atheist members/Think Atheist Twitter followers as winners.
6) Winners MUST contact Nelson by emailing Nelson@iThinkAtheist.com with their address, a link to their Think Atheist profile page, and a link to their Twitter within 48 hours of the announcement of the winners to be eligible to receive their prize.** Upon verification of their eligibility as Think Atheist members and Twitter followers of Think Atheist we will take the shipping addresses of the winners and forward them to the publisher. All costs of shipping the book will be handled at no cost to the winners, whether a winner is within or without the US.
**IF YOU DO NOT CONTACT NELSON AT NELSON@ITHINKATHEIST.COM WITHIN 48 HOURS TO CLAIM YOUR PRIZE YOU WILL FORFEIT THE PRIZE AND ANOTHER WINNER WILL BE CHOSEN. THIS WILL GO ON UNTIL WE HAVE 3 CONFIRMED WINNERS THAT HAVE CLAIMED THEIR PRIZE
So there you go everyone! Thanks to Prometheus Books and Mr. Loftus for being so gracious! Create your Twitter profile. Join Think Atheist! Get ready!
Replies are closed for this discussion.
well. thanks. except. remember. i asked anyone with ideas to contact me directly rather than turn this thread into a "suggestions for future contest formats" thread.
so. seriously. i appreciate it. but. let's not hijack the thread.
i welcome any suggestions. but contact me directly with them, please guys.
Nathan, i have some thoughts on your comments so if you'd like to discuss it send me a message either at my email address listed above or in the form of a PM.
"I'm a member of @ThinkAtheist & I want a copy of John Loftus' The End of Christianity http://bit.ly/pgxBD7 #atheism #skepticism #christianity"
on the off chance that this was a misplaced attempt to enter the contest, the sentence needs to be tweeted on Twitter. sign up for a Twitter account if you don't already have one. copy and paste the sentence into the text box. and send the tweet.
doing this will enter you into the contest.
copying and pasting the sentence here on Think Atheist won't constitute an entry into the contest.
i'm not positive that that's what you were attempting to do but, again, on the off chance that you were, i wanted to make sure to offer the guidance.
Who were the winners? I must have missed the announcement.
Perfect, I think I came in afterwards. Thanks
no worries. the vast majority of listeners to the show "come in afterwards". only a few people have schedules that allow them to tune in live. most listen from the archive. :)
they were announced at the end. Not quite sure how I didn't hear that lol. You guys are doing a great job here by the way.
i can't tell you how much that means to Greg and I, seriously. thank you! we'll continue to put the show for as long as people are interested in listening and for as long as we can afford it!