EDIT2: The contest is now concluded. Thanks to everyone who entered! Remember to catch the interview to find out the names of the winners and make sure you contact Nelson within 48 hours to claim your prize! Otherwise, you can hear the interview any time after it airs live, just as you can any of our great interviews!
EDIT!: The giveaway is now LIVE! The contest entering tweet is: "I'm a member of @ThinkAtheist & I want a copy of Alex Rosenberg's The Atheist's Guide to Reality! http://bit.ly/s75RMn #atheism #skeptic"
Copy and paste the entire tweet between the quotation marks (leave off the quotes). Tweets that are not exact won't be recognized by our tracking and will certainly be missed and therefore can't be considered as entries. Don't miss out because you didn't copy and paste!
Alright, we're at the point now where we can release the details of our newest giveaway! FIVE Think Atheist members will win a copy of Alex Rosenberg's new book The Atheist's Guide to Reality: Enjoying Life Without Illusions. (See here)
Dr. Rosenberg is the R. Taylor Cole Professor and chair of the Philosophy Department at Duke University and co-director of the Duke Center for Philosophy of Biology.
You'll all get to hear our interview with Professor Rosenberg starting this Sunday night, November 6th, but we wanted to give you an opportunity to win a copy of the book first! In it he covers meaning, morality, free will, the existence of a soul and the afterlife, and much more; showing at each step how an honest no-nonsense acceptance of physics and all science (the same thing that leads us to be skeptics of gods/religion in the first place) also answer these other questions!
The description of The Atheist's Guide to Reality reads as follows:
We can't avoid the persistent questions about the meaning of life-and the nature of reality. Philosopher Alex Rosenberg maintains that science is the only thing that can really answer them—all of them. His bracing and ultimately upbeat book takes physics seriously as the complete description of reality and accepts all its consequences. He shows how physics makes Darwinian natural selection the only way life can emerge, and how that deprives nature of purpose, and human action of meaning, while it exposes conscious illusions such as free will and the self. The science that makes us nonbelievers provides the insight into the real difference between right and wrong, the nature of the mind, even the direction of human history. The Atheist's Guide to Reality draws powerful implications for the ethical and political issues that roil contemporary life. The result is nice nihilism, a surprisingly sanguine perspective atheists can happily embrace.
Some other links for Professor Rosenberg are:
The Think Atheist Radio Show's host, Greg, wrote a review of the book
His piece at the New York Times Opinion Pages, "Why I Am A Naturalist"
His appearance with Owen Flanagan on Philosophy TV discussing Naturalism.
His piece at On the Human "The Disenchanted Naturalist's Guide to Reality" with which a person who has read the new book will find much in common. (It almost serves as an excerpt or summary of the book. But not quite)
Here are the contest rules:
1) The contest is open to members of Think Atheist with a Twitter account. Create one now so that you're prepared ahead of time for the contest. (Each contest we have one or two people saying "I don't want to create a Twitter account just for the contest!" and then invariably we end up with one of the winners being someone who created their account just for the contests. So... yeah.)
2) The contest will be held 9AM Friday November 4th to 12PM Sunday November 6th. (All times are Eastern US. Here's a timezone converter for those in other timezones around the world.) The contest will go live with an announcement from the Producer of the Think Atheist Radio Show's Twitter.
3) You will be considered to have entered the contest when, as a Think Atheist member, you take to Twitter between the hours of 9AM Friday November 4th to 12PM Sunday November 6th to follow Think Atheist on Twitter and send the specified contest entering tweet. This page will be updated at the launch of the contest with the contest entering tweet. Create your Twitter account, join Think Atheist if you're not already a member.
4) One entry per person. Multiple entries will not count and may result in your being excluded from the contest entirely! Follow the Producer of the Think Atheist Radio Show's Twitter to watch for confirmation that your entry has been received.
5) At the conclusion of the contest we will randomly draw 5 numbers corresponding to 5 entries. Provisional* winners will be announced on the Think Atheist Radio Show on November 6th beginning at 5PM Pacific/8PM Eastern*. Make sure you tune in to the show to see if you've won! (Remember, if you can't listen live you can listen to the show from the archive at any time immediately following its having aired live!) *Should any of the chosen entrants not be verified as Think Atheist members and as followers of Think Atheist on Twitter we will then randomly select another entrant. This will continue until such time as we have 5 verified Think Atheist members/Think Atheist Twitter followers as winners.
6) Winners MUST contact The Show's producer Nelson by emailing Nelson@iThinkAtheist.com with their address within 48 hours of the announcement of the winners to be eligible to receive their prize.** Upon receiving the shipping addresses of the verified and eligible winners we will forward them to the publisher. All costs of shipping the book will be handled at no cost to the winners, whether a winner is within or without the US. **IF YOU DO NOT CONTACT NELSON AT NELSON@ITHINKATHEIST.COM WITHIN 48 HOURS TO CLAIM YOUR PRIZE YOU WILL FORFEIT THE PRIZE AND ANOTHER WINNER WILL BE CHOSEN. THIS WILL GO ON UNTIL WE HAVE 5 CONFIRMED WINNERS THAT HAVE CLAIMED THEIR PRIZE
So there you go everyone! Thanks to the book's publisher W. W. Norton and Professor Rosenberg for being so gracious! Create your Twitter profile. Join Think Atheist! Get ready! Make sure you check out our past shows, and keep an eye out for upcoming guests as well! And, hey, if you enjoy the show and you can spare a few bucks, help us make sure we stay on the air! Alternatively, shop the Think Atheist Radio Show book store where you'll get the same deals as Amazon direct but Amazon gives us a bit of the profit on each sale from the store which goes to support the show! We'd love to continue doing book giveaways, getting great guests and putting them in front of you each week so that you can hear their thoughts but in order to do so we have to pay the bills! We appreciate all the help you guys can provide!
Sucks that your contests are all Facebook or Twitter required. I don't want to do either! Tough luck for me I guess... Can't you do these contests through your web site? Do you get kick-backs from Facebook or Twitter somehow? Just wondering...
We did an interview with Alex Rosenberg last Sunday morning and he did a great talk on his book which is also a great companian to keep you living a reality driven life.
Submitted my entry... can't wait for the show.