UPDATE2: The contest has now concluded. Thanks to everyone that entered! Remember, tune in to the show tonight to find out if you've won! You have 48 hours from the announcement to reach Nelson to claim your prize!
UPDATE: THE CONTEST IS NOW LIVE! Copy and paste the following tweet to enter the contest: "Ima member of @ThinkAtheist & I want a copy of Dr. DiCarlo's How To Become a Really Good Pain in the Ass! http://bit.ly/qVM2AB #atheism"
Copy and paste the entire tweet between the quotation marks (leave off the quotes). Tweets that are not exact won't be recognized by our tracking and will certainly be missed and therefore can't be considered as entries. Don't miss out because you didn't copy and paste!
Alright, we're at the point now where we can release the details of our newest contest! THREE Think Atheist members will win a copy of Dr. Christopher DiCarlo's new book How to Become a Really Good Pain in the Ass: A Critical Thinker's Guide to Asking the Right Questions. (See here)
Dr. DiCarlo, a fellow, advisor, and board member of the Society of Ontario Free Thinkers and the Center for Inquiry Canada; is a Philosopher of Science and Ethics with research interests centering on cognitive evolution: why humans think and act the way we do. He is a former Visiting Research Scholar at Harvard University in the Department of Anthropology in addition to the 2008 Canadian Humanist of the year and was recently featured on an episode of Mr. Deity. You'll all get to hear Dr. DiCarlo during our interview with him this Sunday night, October 2nd, but we wanted to give you all an opportunity to win a copy of the book first!
The description of How to Become a Really Good Pain in the Ass reads as follows:
The way you answer these questions will tell you a lot about yourself. And if you ask others these questions, their answers will tell you a good deal about them, how they think, and what they value.
Of course, if you persist in asking these questions, others may think you've become a really good pain in the ass. According to philosopher Christopher W. DiCarlo, you shouldn't be insulted by such a reaction, but treat it as a mark of distinction. For it means you've learned to think critically
In this witty, incisive guide to critical thinking DiCarlo provides you with the tools to allow you to question beliefs and assumptions held by those who claim to know what they're talking about. These days there are many people whom we need to question: politicians, lawyers, doctors, teachers, clergy members, bankers, car salesmen, and your boss. This book will empower you with the ability to spot faulty reasoning and, by asking the right sorts of questions, hold people accountable not only for what they believe but how they behave.
By using this book you'll learn to analyze your own thoughts, ideas, and beliefs, and why you act on them (or don't). This, in turn, will help you to understand why others might hold opposing views. And the best way to change our own or others' behavior or attitudes is to gain greater clarity about underlying motives and thought processes.
In a media-driven world of talking heads, gurus, urban legends, and hype, learning to think more clearly and critically, and helping others to do the same, is one of the most important things you can do.
Here are the contest rules:
1) The contest is open to members of Think Atheist with a Twitter account. Create one now so that you're prepared ahead of time for the contest. (Each contest we have one or two people saying "I don't want to create a Twitter account just for the contest!" and then invariably we end up with one of the winners being someone who created their account just for the contests.)
2) The contest will be held 9AM Friday September 30th to 12PM Sunday October 2nd. (All times are Eastern US. Here's a timezone converter for those in other timezones around the world.) The contest will go live with an announcement from the Producer of the Think Atheist Radio Show's Twitter.
3) You will be considered to have entered the contest when, as a Think Atheist member, you take to Twitter between the hours of 9AM Friday September 30th to 12PM Sunday October 2nd to follow Think Atheist on Twitter and send the specified contest entering tweet. This page will be updated at the launch of the contest with the contest entering tweet. Create your Twitter account, join Think Atheist if you're not already a member.
4) One entry per person. Multiple entries will not count and may result in your being excluded from the contest entirely! Follow the Producer of the Think Atheist Radio Show's Twitter to watch for confirmation that your entry has been received.
5) At the conclusion of the contest we will randomly draw 3 numbers corresponding to 3 entries. Provisional* winners will be announced on the Think Atheist Radio Show on October 2nd beginning at 5PM Pacific/8PM Eastern*. Make sure you tune in to the show to see if you've won! (Remember, if you can't listen live you can listen to the show from the archive at any time immediately following its having aired live!) *Should any of the chosen entrants not be verified as Think Atheist members and as followers of Think Atheist on Twitter we will then randomly select another entrant. This will continue until such time as we have 3 verified Think Atheist members/Think Atheist Twitter followers as winners.
6) Winners MUST contact Nelson by emailing Nelson@iThinkAtheist.com with their address within 48 hours of the announcement of the winners to be eligible to receive their prize.** Upon receiving the shipping addresses of the verified and eligible winners we will forward them to the publisher. All costs of shipping the book will be handled at no cost to the winners, whether a winner is within or without the US.
**IF YOU DO NOT CONTACT NELSON AT NELSON@ITHINKATHEIST.COM WITHIN 48 HOURS TO CLAIM YOUR PRIZE YOU WILL FORFEIT THE PRIZE AND ANOTHER WINNER WILL BE CHOSEN. THIS WILL GO ON UNTIL WE HAVE 3 CONFIRMED WINNERS THAT HAVE CLAIMED THEIR PRIZE
So there you go everyone! Thanks to Prometheus Books and Dr. DiCarlo for being so gracious! Create your Twitter profile. Join Think Atheist! Get ready! Make sure you check out our past shows, and keep an eye out for upcoming guests as well! And, hey, if you enjoy the show and you can spare a few bucks, help us make sure we stay on the air! Alternatively, shop the Think Atheist Radio Show book store where you'll get the same deals as Amazon direct but Amazon gives us a bit of the profit on each sale from the store which goes to support the show! We'd love to continue doing book giveaways, getting great guests and putting them in front of you each week so that you can hear their thoughts but in order to do so we have to pay the bills! We appreciate all the help you guys can provide!
Eh, the message seems to be too long by 5 characters...
Yep, that fixed it... thanks.
Ima member of @ThinkAtheist & I want a copy of Dr. DiCarlo's How To Become a Really Good Pain in the Ass! http://bit.ly/qVM2AB #atheism LOL
Hey Matt! Glad you're interested in the book! :)
The tweet has to be sent from your Twitter account. If you don't already have one you can easily create one. It's free and takes just a second.
Is it really supposed to be misspelled? "Ima" rather than "I'm a"?
I would like the opportunity to enter the contest, but I have no desire to join Twitter. Could I share it on Facebook and accomplish the same thing? Seems a little discriminatory to me, but I'm just a newbie here. What do I know?