After reading further on about death I have come to evidence that makes me believe that having an afterlife is a FAR STREEETCH from reality, it doesn’t seem possible. It’s freaky, it’s depressing, but it’s real.

Atheism doesn't comfort you when you’re alone. It opens your life to the bittersweet birth that you were given, to make your life worth living. To enjoy the small things because your time here is PRECIOUS.

There are those people who die and claim to have gone to heaven, seen the light, seen angels, who have spoken to or who have talked to God.

Did you know that after your heart stops beating, your brain activity is active for 6 minutes before it fully shuts down? I think that what those people saw was merely a dream. Time slows down when you’re dreaming, therefore an accurate perception of how much time you spent in heaven wouldn’t be accurate of real time.

So what makes you so sure that your consciousness stays with you when you die? Your brain activity stops, and that is a fact. It is this very fact and reasoning to which I think that THIS IS IT, this one life is all you have.

I sometimes ponder the thought of dying when I'm alone, and this usually occurs when I'm lying in bed getting slowly falling asleep. Only to wake up with a mini panic attack realizing that I'm not dead after all. I Try to get rid of these taunting thoughts of never waking up. It just seems like life can be the most brutal, and unforgiving of all concepts. 

But I wonder how many Theists actually believe in such stories.... I finished watching this documentary; 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcQbRjTq82E

(A man broke his leg and fell down a crevice etc. I don't know if it's possible to survive such heights, but that's irrelevant". Because in the short clip he mentions that he was raised to be religious, and that when he truly felt helpless, never once thought that saying a bunch of hail marrys could save him from death. 

I'm sure many religious people fear death (So do I), however how many of them would just sit there and rely on God for protection? I'm betting if they got out of it alive (And prayed), they would end up giving God credit for their own will and physical exertion to stay alive. 

Prayer= A placebo effect (You think it works, but it does jack shit).

I guess my question to all of you freethinkers is this; what makes you unafraid of death? What makes you welcome it with open and untroublesome arms?  To me this is the hardest part of being an Atheist (Or even human for that matter), without a way to pollute our mines with fairy tales, how can we ACCEPT our fate?

Tags: agnostic, atheism, conquering, consciousness, death, fairy, fear, god, of, religion, More…tales, the, theism

Views: 383

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I am much more afraid of living than I am of dieing.  I think any rational human being should come to the same conclusion as when you are dead you obviously won't know it.  So how can you fear it?  

I think the fear of death is only an issue simply because of religious dogmas that claim that Hell is a very real place, and a very real possibility.  

Without Hell, Death is nothing more than what you feel when you are asleep without dreams.  It's peaceful. 

In other words, Death is simply what you felt before you were born.  

Death freaks people out, because, as religions go along, they all claim afterlives to be very different from each other.

We have Heaven/Hell in Christianity, Reincarnation until you finally end up in the arms of God in Hinduism,The Afterworld in Buddhism and so on and so forth. But it still comes down to winding up in a better place after you die, when you have led a good life, according to the standards of the religion. But some people I argued with about religion, want to believe in, for example, Christianity, but want to be reborn aswell. I'm with Dustin Sanders on this one. It's simply what you felt before you were born.

It's not the being dead part that is so scary, it is the potentially painful manner in which death comes... cancer, heart disease, car accident, homicide... all fucking scary. But none as scary as old age. That's a horrible death a long time coming.

Really?

I always figured if I was an old man I would embrace death much more assertively than I do now. 

Thinking about being dead used to really freak me out, even when I was a Christian. Just picturing my body laying in a coffin would really bother me. The whole idea of my body being dead was almost unbearable to think about. I guess you could say it was a kind of neurotic fear, idk.  I didn't care if I had a spiritual self happily bouncing around in heaven at the same time, I could not think about my body being dead without getting very upset.

The older I got, the less and less it got to be a big deal. I can say I don't fear death at all now. I'm over 45+ years old. (+4) lol. It does not bother me at all anymore.

In fact, one of my sayings I like to say when I am joking with someone who has just said something befitting, is to say: "Well just put me in the coffin and close the damn lid". LOL. Usually meaning "I'm to old to be useful to society any longer" or "I am not going to make it", etc. (joking around). It's not original. I heard someone else say it and liked it and stole it.

I certainly fear suffering! But not death.

Now, when you start talking about will you feel that you have lived a satisfactory life at the moment of your death, that's a whole other can of worms.  For example, I often ask myself "When I am taking my last breaths, will I have a feeling of satisfaction and greatfulness inside of my heart for the life that I lived?  

I like to think that I will. I feel there is a good chance that I will. I sure hope so.

You could always get cremated and have you ashes poured over a lake of some sort, rather than thinking about maggots digging into your eye sockets. Seems much more poetic than being dumped in the ground (At least in my opinion).
Yes, that is likely. I imagine old age is miserable and miserable people are more inclined to embrace death.
I can attest to this.  I have seen it happen.  In fact, I think it happens more often than not.  Many people reach an age and state of infirmity where continuing to live seems more burdensome than facing the unknown.  The older I get, the more I understand their viewpoint.

There is a difference between some measurable form of "brain activity" and conciousness. There is actually no sharp boundary there. But neurons will start to die off almost immediately at rates with some dependency on body temperature.

Fear of death like in fear of being dead is rather silly. One could borrow from Bertrand Russell and reason from experience and observation that having been dead for billions of years before being born, all that time no one has ever reported having experienced the slightest discomfort. So what's to fear?

On the other hand fear of death like in the fear of dying makes (evolutionary) sense because it causes you to avoid taking great risks unnecessarily.

"I do not fear death. I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it."
Mark Twain
Damn me to hell, it was Twain.
Russell may have said it, too, for all I know.  Wise observations well up repeatedly from wise men over the centuries.  Yet, somehow, most people don't listen.

RSS

Blog Posts

Invictus

Posted by Marinda on September 11, 2014 at 4:08pm 0 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service