Yesterday at work I overheard part of a consversation that hurt my brain.

Customer: It's so warm today!

Worker 1: Must be global warming.

Worker 2: Global warming isn't real.

Worker 1: Yes, it is.  Go back to school.

Worker 2: Do you believe in God?

Worker 1: Yeah.  Yeah. 

Worker 2:  [looks skeptical]

Worker 1: Yes, I do. Why would I lie about that?

To my great dismay, I missed the part where Worker 2 explains how his belief in God conteracts the Greenhouse Effect.  It kind of shocked me that they would talk about something politicized, like climate change, at work.  I was blown away when Worker 2 brought up God. 

Has anyone else encountered this kind of God-trumps-climate-change thinking?  What do you think the Climate Change Skeptic/Theist would have said next?  For my edification and general amusement, please tell me, how does this work?

Tags: Change, Climate, Global, Warming, change, climate, denial, unprofessional, work

Views: 711

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yeah, well, I was about 20 feet away with a couple of walls in the way.  Can't say I was eavesdropping because they were just that loud.  I'd have had to have yelled to satisfy my curiosity.  That would've been awkward.  And as a progressive, bisexual, and atheist, I'm trying to keep a low profile, since I work with a lot of close-minded people.  My boss tells me that Worker 2, is "you-know, the gay guy."  My old boss (now in HR) still gives me the stink eye because she knows I'm progressive.  It's pretty stupid where I work.

To tell you the truth, although I have encountered a number of climate change deniers, none of them have referenced God; they've all been Republicans who think it's a liberal lie by scientists plotting to destroy the American way of life.  Meanwhile, 2012 was the hottest year on record, and the trends are steadily upwards. 

That being said, it does beg the question of why we should expect God to save us, when He/She/It is clearly trying His/Her/Its best to kill us...by degrees!

Sadly, even real fools will be hard pressed to ignore the details in time.

There is a movie/docu that came out 2008 called 'The Age of Stupid', concerning all the things we could have done 'before' it went to shit. Looking back from 2052, with much of the human population either extinct or in controled habitats, could knock the stupid grins off anyone. Sadly we do not have this time travel ability, except for good attempts at climate modeling. It is all the 'details' of global warming that could make life difficult, if not impossible.

Controlled habitats? How inhospitable do you think the weather is going to get? 

Sadly, we do not know....

Gregg R Thomas

Sadly the local monkeys cannot move to a new tree this time around.

One of the last lines in the movie "...it's too late for us.", that may be humankind's epitaph.

It's rampant man! Just listen to CSN (Christian Satelite Network). Prophecy is coming true. Whatever happens it is Gods plan! Global warming is Gods plan. Hurricane Sandy was Gods plan because America is rejecting God. SORRY, but it is an epic fantasy. I will go for reason anyday. I think it takes alot more effort to reason and use the empirical method of science, and realize how insignificant we are, than it does to believe that we are at the center of the universe. The schism of religion with science and reason started when we reasoned and realized we aren't at the center of Gods creation. What can I say? Read the top reasoners, Study the Bible, study empirical science, try to tie relativity to quantum mechanics! I just ask you to look at all the facts, don't say that all of "Atheists FACTS" are of the devil and if it leads you away from Jesus Christ you will burn in hell! What do you think?

@ G. Mirror

"...if the United States alone put $500 billion into developing fusion power and getting Helium-3 from the moon for fuel. (That's less than 0.1% of the GDP..."

Actually 500 Billion is not 0.1% of the GDP it's over 300 times that amount coming in at 3.33 percent of a 15 Trillion GDP.

Actually 500 Billion is not 0.1% of the GDP it's over 300 times that amount coming in at 3.33 percent of a 15 Trillion GDP.

You're right. I should have said "0.1% of the global GDP" or "3.33% of the US GDP". I calculated the figure using the global GDP in 2011 which was $70 trillion.

Note the $500 billion is still:

I agree with both GM and Greg with two g's. You are both right. I look around this redneck town and hear all about how bad they hate communist Chinese, where are our jobs, boo hoo? And every weekend (ok 24-7) they flock down to walmart and spend 90% of their cash. They don't care, it's cheap, just like oil.

THAT is why we need Government. Business will do the wrong thing, it almost has to. Government is supposed to do the right things. There lies the rub.

500 B against 70 T is .7 not .1.

Let's talk about how many Kilowatt hours your 500 B investment represents.

The US uses around 4T Kw's per year, about 3T of this is Hydrocarbon Fuel, so the question is;  How much of this is your 500 B dollar investment going to replace?

FWikipedia: F is the sixth letter in the ISO basic Latin alphabet.

RSS

Forum

FROM THE WORD OF GOD IN THE OLD TESTAMENT

Started by Stephen Gunn in Small Talk. Last reply by Stephen Gunn 2 hours ago. 10 Replies

It happened

Started by Belle Rose in Atheist Parenting. Last reply by Emperor Milos 2 hours ago. 77 Replies

Lobby

Started by Glen L in Small Talk. Last reply by captain kingsway 7 hours ago. 8 Replies

Disorders of Sex Development

Started by ɐuɐz ǝllǝıuɐp in Small Talk. Last reply by ɐuɐz ǝllǝıuɐp 16 hours ago. 13 Replies

Events

Blog Posts

Labels

Posted by Quincy Maxwell on July 20, 2014 at 9:37pm 19 Comments

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service