(Reuters) - A New York City police officer accused of plotting to kidnap and cannibalize women had been having dark fantasies since he was a teenager, but had no intention of ever turning those thoughts into reality, his attorney said on Monday at the start of his federal trial.

Attorney Julia Gatto also said that Officer Gilberto Valle, who faces 20 years to life in prison if convicted, talked online about torturing his own wife and her female friends and colleagues.

"What really turns on is the idea of a woman - oiled, bound, laid out on a platter with an apple in her mouth, about to be cooked," Gatto told jurors in opening arguments. "That's his dirty little secret."

She argued that Valle was engaged in online sexual fantasy role play involving a little-known internet subculture where people with unconventional desires gather to act them out in cyberspace but with no intention of every carrying out criminal acts. (source)

What do you think about the idea of prosecuting people for unacted-upon thoughts? Is that a horrible idea or a creative way of putting away people with homicidal, phedophiliac, or larcenous thoughts before they commit a crime.

Tags: crimes, thought

Views: 290

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

free-will discussions aside...we do have control over which thoughts we nurture.

Oh, really. So, contrary to what brain researchers tell us, we do have a super brain that controls our brain, the brain being an organic electro-chemical machine,

How exactly does that work?

I'm SURE I said "free-will discussions aside". Ah yes, there it is. You even repeated it for me.

AND I asked you a question, because I'd like to know on what grounds you have set them aside.

Damn I guess I should turn myself in, a thousand year sentence doesn't really seem that long. ;)

I think this is all the reply I need:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AN2hNYAtkDs

RSS

Blog Posts

Creationists Dispute

Posted by Fouad on December 24, 2014 at 7:26am 2 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service