I'm just curious, as an theist parent, do you celebrate Christmas? And, if so, what do you tell your kids about Christmas?

I've always told my kids (in short summary) the religious tradition of Christmas, but that we celebrate it because of tradition, not religion.

Views: 1438

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

"Merry Giftmas" - I like that! (Yoink!)

Socks, books, phone/gift cards, cash, food, and hugs are always accepted.

Not me - I never get what I want. I've hung up my stockings for years, expecting Mariah Carey to be wearing them when I wake up, but it never happens --

That's odd.  I read somewhere that Mariah Carey hangs up her stocking every year expecting to get a cranky old proto-bird to cross-dress for her. 

Cranky?! I get elves banging on my  door at all hours, begging for lessons in jolly!

BTW - Elves taste like chicken --

Now GET OFF MY LAWN!

You're right, Blaine - what's to like --?

You da MAN!!

How does the song go?

"You have what I lack myself,
Now I even have to scratch my back, myself."

You have someone to scratch your back - Kudos!

Very good. 

I don't have kids yet but when I do I will tell them that for some families Christmas has a religious meaning but for our family we celebrate it because of tradition, culture, family and fun.

I described their job to the 6 year old then I asked questions and let him come to his own conclusions. He decided Santa and the Easter Bunny were both not real.

Me: So how does the Easter Bunny hide all of those eggs? (He thought the easter bunny hid all the eggs.)

Him: Maybe He's really big so he could reach a lot of places.

Me: If he's that big then don't you think someone would've seen him?     ....etc.

RSS

Blog Posts

What do you do with the anger?

Posted by dataguy on September 20, 2014 at 5:12pm 6 Comments

Aftermath

Posted by Belle Rose on September 20, 2014 at 2:42am 6 Comments

Ads

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service