I was watching the news earlier and Boston is putting up a "holiday tree" this year instead of a Christmas tree, in order to be political correct . (it's the same type of tree, just a different name). Of course the Christians are all up in arms, about invading a symbol of their religion (despite the fact that the Christmas tree started off as a pagan fertility symbol).
This said, I'm not sure what I think of it all. Normally, I hear atheists say that there should be equal representation in Christmas displays by all religions and atheists or no display at all. By I don't know what to think about "dereligionizing" an icon that is typically associated with Christianity in America. Also since this is Boston and not a small town making the decision, I have to consider if this might be replicated by other towns if it is received favorably.
What do you all think?

Tags: Christmas, and, church, division, of, state, tree

Views: 318

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Happy Festivus, everyone --

Special thanks to Strega!

If there was ever a Humanist carol, that should be it.

I personally don't thin there's much point getting anal about it.   "Christmas" is the current name given to a festival in mid-winter that has been celebrated for thousands of years, and had been celebrated for thousands of years before a potentially fictitious man, who is claimed to be the illegitimate progeny of divine rape.

Enjoy christmas, but remember that it is just a celebration... Carolling and giving presents is mostly non-christian in its roots, and the tree is not originally christian.

RSS

Atheist Sites

Blog Posts

In Avoidance of Anger

Posted by Pope Beanie on November 27, 2014 at 4:59pm 0 Comments

The plane that never crashed

Posted by Brazillian atheist on November 27, 2014 at 12:17pm 1 Comment

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service