This is an authentic 4th grade "science" quiz from a Christian school in South Carolina, which I'm pleased to report has been closed due to lack of funding. It's been posted on TA I think.

When I see 9-year-olds systematically having their minds destroyed with religious brainwashing, I'm reminded Arthur C. Clark's statement: "Religion is the most malevolent of all mind viruses." 

The "teacher" who slapped the insidious Smiley sticker onto this travesty is creepiest thing of all.

Tags: 4th, Christian, grade, quiz, school, science

Views: 536

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I was curious (and obviously killing time on a very rainy evening) about the now defunct BRCA and checked out a job application. This is how it opens:

Blue Ridge Christian Academy hires teachers and staff of any race, color, national or ethnic origin , gender, age, or qualified disability.  We reserve the right, however, to discriminate in hiring practices on the basis of religious doctrinal perspectives.  The Christian philosophy of BRCA and doctrinal beliefs are clearly stated and available to every applicant.  Every teacher and staff member is afforded all the rights, privileges, programs and activities generally made available to all other teachers and staff at the school.

That is very scary.

Was this a public school??? I find this frustrating because I was born in South Carolina, but I'm glad to say that my family moved to Texas when I was 3 or 4... Good to hear it was cancelled. Phew! :)

And Americans wonder why American children can't compete in Math and Science against their Asians and European counterpart students.

This was making the rounds a year or so ago. What I learned just a few days ago, though, is that it came up on one of my close friend's facebook page...and he was defending it. He launched a defense of "the faith" to tell whoever passed on the image that you have to look at ALL the science and not just believe propaganda (in other words, don't believe in evolution).

This is one of my closest friends we're talking about here. This is the guy who invited me to go camping this summer, when otherwise I would probably not go anywhere. This is the same guy who was commiserating with my mother last week about how horrible and terrible and awful it was to find out one of his friends in an atheist. He didn't mean me. He doesn't know about me yet. I'd like to tell him, to find out if he's my friend even if we don't agree theologically. But I'm scared to because I've seen how he reacts. This is why I don't tell anyone that I'm an atheist.

It would be interesting to ask your friend sometime what he believes the foundation of a true friendship should be predicated upon. If he says truth, compassion, and honesty then remind him of those qualities as you tell him your position on religion. 

*****************************************************************************************

What is a friend? I will tell you.

It is a person with whom you dare to be yourself.  Your soul can be naked with him. He seems to ask of you to put on nothing, only to be what you are.  He does not want you to be better or worse. When you are with him you feel as a prisoner feels who has been declared innocent. You do not have to be on your guard.  You can say what you think, so long as it is genuinely you.  He understands those contradictions in your nature that lead others to misjudge you.  With him you breathe freely.  You can avow your little vanities and envies and hates and vicious sparks, your meannesses and absurdities and, in opening them up to him, they are lost, dissolved on the white ocean of his loyalty.  He understands.  You do not have to be careful.  You can abuse him, neglect him, tolerate him.  Best of all, you can keep still with him.  It makes no matter.  He likes you - he is like the fire that purges to the bone.  He understands, he understands.  You can weep with him, sin with him, laugh with him, pray with him.  Through it all - and underneath - he sees, knows, and loves you.  A friend?  What is a friend?  Just one, I repeat, with whom you dare to be yourself.

C Raymand Beran

See that's it...based on those qualities, I'm not sure if I have any friends. At all.

A bit like telling physics students sound travels slower than light. Sound can travel faster than light.

The speed of sound and the "group velocity of a wave" are different quantities. Misrepresentation of scientific information is the hallmark of an apologist/pseudo scientist. Most people of faith acknowledge that science is at odds with their beliefs and choose to believe anyway. The apologist warps scientific information to fit their goals. It is intellectually dishonest.

Sound travels faster than light in some very particular, unusual situations. Sound does NOT travel faster than "c", the speed of light in a vacuum. You are making a comparison between an overgeneralization that is usually true on one hand, and blatant lies on the other.

The bliss of ignorance. The last question's answer encapsulates the theist mentality perfectly. 

I'd like to know what his answer would be if someone then asked, "Were you there when humans were supposedly living with sheep dinosaurs?"

RSS

Forum

Awe struck

Started by Davis Goodman in Small Talk. Last reply by Unseen 7 hours ago. 40 Replies

where when how who why ?

Started by aubrey knows nothing * in Small Talk. Last reply by Davis Goodman 8 hours ago. 5 Replies

I don't know what to say

Started by Belle Rose in Atheist Parenting. Last reply by Ward Cressin 13 hours ago. 2 Replies

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service