Chinese physicists measure speed of Einstein’s ‘spooky action at a distance’: At least 10,000 times faster than light

Chinese physicists measure speed of Einstein’s ‘spooky action at a distance’: At least 10,000 times faster than light

EXTERNAL LINK ARTICLE

http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/150207-chinese-physicists-measur...

Views: 317

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Who's gonna get working on a 'quantum entanglement drive'? I want to be in the andromeda galaxy by the end of the year!

Dont know, but It is an exciting challenge for the rocket scientists.

Very 'cool'.

Has anyone talked with the Amazon drone people yet?

Are the Chinese going to start 'dropping in' any time soon?

Is this why the Chinese recently sent a moon probe to establish a relay station?

So what are the 'mass limits' of the transporter? Would a small 'gadget' pass through?

Shall we live in 'interesting times'?

Will the Chinese loose interest in the interest in our debt, because they can now establish bases 'anywhere' they like?

Will property values drop to 'zero' because the useful available land for humans has just about overnight become greater than the surface area of Earth by orders of magnitude?

Who will get to make that first trip to Vega?

I expect Fox News will report soon that it will cause cancer, make liberals sterial, bring back Elvis, and allow conservatives to walk on water!

Dear NASA, who cares!  

First off, Einstein's influence cannot be recognized enough. I just read the article to my husband, who works for a major internet entity, because I wasn't sure if this was a spoof. I mean, who would have thought that Einstein would call anything 'spooky particles'. Turns out this could have some incredible implications that reach beyond our imaginations. Data that can be shared instantaneously. Data that can't be hacked or stolen, by individuals or by governments. Exciting and intriguing at the same time.

I have to question some of the terminology used in this article.  Instantaneous data preservation over x distance does not imply that mass has been displaced - meaning the phenomena lays entirely outside the principles of special relativity.  The Quantum view of entanglement suggests that you really can't measure the space between two quantum particles because they aren't really anchored in our three dimensions - it seems, in fact, that our three dimensional space is just some sort of intersection between 10 or 11 dimensions.  The particles may be the same thing but just intersecting our spacetime at multiple points.

That being said, instantaneous, non-intercept-able data transfer has some incredible applications.  If they can get it working, I would love to see a space telescope sent out of our solar system - one that we could control in real-time to get pin-point accurate views from angles that have never before been accessible. 

At what am I looking here?

http://www.stumbleupon.com/su/69Kduf

In other words I don't have a clue. In StumbleUpon I subscribed to the Photography Interest Group. I'm always on the verge of unsubscribing to that interest group. I am regularly pissed off by it because they (StumbleUpon) simply plonks out images with NO hint of explanation. Who captured this image? What/where does it depict? No idea.

This HAS to be animation, right?

It is animation because the change in perspective represents a distance of thousands, if not tens of thousands, of light years.  It may, however, be an animation that is based on astrological data of the layout of a real nebula.

I would have to agree with your view on this.  It may be based on real data, it may be animated using a real image as a base, but the rotation would cover a distance not yet travelled by any long distance probe.  Even by the time any probes we send out do cover that distance, they will have long since ceased to function.  That said, its a purty picture

It is indeed very cool.

My first thought was like yours: objects that huge simply can't move fast enough during any reasonable amount of time to allow that action to be recorded. It might be an animation based on a projection, but it's not real.

RSS

Forum

My Grandpa died last week

Started by Physeter in Small Talk. Last reply by Belle Rose 3 hours ago. 12 Replies

How do you cure Insanity???

Started by Belle Rose in Advice. Last reply by Davis Goodman 5 hours ago. 63 Replies

A relapse.....

Started by Belle Rose in Small Talk. Last reply by Unseen 7 hours ago. 7 Replies

The Elephant in the Room...

Started by Belle Rose in Small Talk. Last reply by Belle Rose 8 hours ago. 25 Replies

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service