So long story short I had to give my boys up for adoption. Their adoptive mother is a relatively sane christian. She and I over two years have been trying to figure out how to get children back into my care. At moment we have settled on blending households. Here is my conundrum how to deal with Hi i'm and atheist and you're a christian. Wrong move could cost me my sons again  Yet don't have an overwhelming urge to find my self in church either. She supports freedom or choice and evolution so not a do this or die type. So any suggestions? 

Views: 914

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

@Strega 

Of course, because the question isnt about the best interests of the children - its about the best interestd of the adult and it doesnt work like that.

So Yes - Im suspicious.

office space?

@Thom

Is this going through the courts?

I asked you before if you could explain the post to me - maybe i have it wrong. How should I be reading it?

It's often useful to find something out about the laws and practices of subject matter before you cry foul, especially if the matter in hand is not taking place in your own country, and you are thus not necessarily familiar with the applicable practices.

We all have search engines.  Here is wiki on the subject of Open Adoptions, to give you a starting point.

this is probably an old post but explain to kids  urself of life without the cross on ur shoulders

Your both entitled to your opinions even though I think theyre naive.

I'll wait to see if angela can shed some better light on it.

Because there is something here that your not seeing.

You told me to 'read it as its written" and I did. Something is wrong

And since you got your nose out of joint that Ive already said too much and that Im jumping to conclusions - I'm reluctant to say any more about it.

Thom - maybe you shouldnt be clogging angela kozmas thread by arguing with me.

If you are really interested in angela kozma then offer her some advice.

"Unseen answered it with the best advice on the first page imo."

So where does it say that responses are going to be judged according to you?

FFS -

OK Thom  - YOU WIN

@angela kozma - I have no idea of why, or when, or how well you are doing, but it sounds like you are doing well, making time to sort the kids out with the adoptive Mum over a two year period here - that is not the question, and it doesn't seem like this woman will push her christian agenda in a fundamentalist manner.

The fact that she seems a reasonable christian is a definite plus, there is no need to rush with this, it will all evolve if you get your kids back. 

I would be biding my time with the Atheist stand, I feel this is the least of your problems.

@angela kozma - I have no idea of why, or when, or how well you are doing, or why or how you may be getting you children back, but it sounds like you are doing well, making time to sort the kids out with the adoptive Mum over a two year period - that is not the question, and it doesn't seem like this woman will push her christian agenda in a fundamentalist manner.

The fact that she seems a reasonable christian is a definite plus, there is no need to rush with this, it will all evolve if you get your kids back, and they will be getting two points of view - it's all part of their education.

I would be biding my time with the Atheist stand, I feel this is the least of your problems.

Hi Angela:

Divorced. Remarried. Son is with ex-wife, Catholic. Have daughter with my wife. Left the decision to worship or not to worship to my kids. Never told them it was a bad thing to believe in a higher power. Never told them it was a good thing either. We rarely ever talked about religion at the dinner table or on the couch.

As they got older they pretty much made up their own minds and, my daughter, asked me one day if I felt it was all bullshit. She said she felt it was but is not about to consider herself a full blown Atheist. She's comfortable saying she's Agnostic. Which lessons the blow to the majority Diest she has to perform with on a daily basis. She's so comfortable with her choices she chooses to sing in the church choir, despite her non belief. She's studying Classical Voice in college and a lot of classical music is religion centered.

Maybe not giving it all that much importance will mitigate any arguments or heated discussions. Allowing them to make up their own minds worked for me.

Good luck with your custody battle.

RSS

Forum

The Shinto Flower among the Weeds of Religion

Started by Cato Rigas in Advice. Last reply by Belle Rose 4 hours ago. 3 Replies

Awe struck

Started by Davis Goodman in Small Talk. Last reply by Unseen 15 hours ago. 15 Replies

"I'm Christian and I vote."

Started by Ed in Small Talk. Last reply by James Cox 16 hours ago. 40 Replies

Blog Posts

Life Condensed

Posted by Cato Rigas on October 19, 2014 at 8:30pm 1 Comment

Cool Vehicle Inspection!

Posted by Ed on October 18, 2014 at 9:03am 2 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service