Can praying improve your reasoning? I once questioned a student about his suspicious behavior during a logic examination. He confessed that he was praying for the correct answer. I felt this was cheating. Even if God did not give him the answer, the student was soliciting the answer from Someone Else.

– Dartmouth philosopher Roy Sorensen, in A Brief History of the Paradox, 2003

This gave me a chuckle. It sounds more like an excuse to me, I mean, who prays for the right answer, huh? .... exactly! 

Views: 61

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

As a teacher, I can confidently say that there are some students whose sudden high marks solely as a result of prayer would immediately cause me to convert.

Haha, LOL

hahahaha... awesome. We watched Easy A the other day and the character says something similar.

Olive Penderghast: If he's so smart, why is your boyfriend 22 years old and still in high school?
Marianne: Because, Olive, it's His choice!
Olive Penderghast: Oh, really? His choice? He just *wants* to be repeating his senior year for, like, the fourth time 'cause he can't pass a single test?
Marianne: No, silly,
[points up]
Marianne: His. His, with a capital H. If the Good Lord had wanted Micah to graduate, he would have given him the right answers.
Olive Penderghast: [laughs] I'm sorry, but, I mean, really? You gotta be shittin' me, woman.

Easy A is awesome! My favorite quote from that movie:

Marianne: There's a higher power that will judge you for your indecency. 
Olive Penderghast: Tom Cruise?

#Win

Lol! I jump on my couch everyday as a form of Tom Cruise worship just in case!

-god gave him the answers to the test

-but the devil put the cheat sheet in his pocket.

It always amused me when I was the only one in my super-duper-religious highschool NOT cheating on tests.

I do wonder about people who pray for answers. If then, he looked on the ground and found someone's paper cheatsheet that they'd dropped, I wonder if he would take it as a sign from god that he should use it, or as a temptation of some type.

I say you should have all the religious children pray for their answers. The secular ones can actually study, and the religious ones can put it in the hands of "god". The test scores will reflect accurately.

then natural selection takes over and before you know it, Poof! no more god.

What's funny about this is IF that person had suddenly thought of the answer, remembered it from a prior lesson or what ever. He would have still credited his god for answering him.

I wish I could do that. It's like how people with larger occipital lobes are less susceptible to optical illusions?

is THAT what it is? huh, you learn something new everyday on this site lol.

wow~

RSS

Blog Posts

The tale of the twelve officers

Posted by Davis Goodman on August 27, 2014 at 3:04am 0 Comments

Birthday Present

Posted by Caila Rowe on August 26, 2014 at 1:29am 3 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service