I'm a cat lover and one who's unapologetic. I like cats better than dogs and I'm going to tell you why.

First and foremost, cats respect themselves. A cat is a cat and will be a cat no matter what you do, whereas dogs seem constantly to be feigning humanness, and why? To gain some advantage for themselves, be it a treat or a pat on the head.

My cat likes physical attention, too. However, she doesn't do anything to earn it. She's a cat and I'm her human and that's enough. She gets petted because she's a cat and I'm not.

Despite the fact that the dog's skull is nothing like a human's, they have managed to mimic almost all human facial expressions. I think they do it even better than chimps, which may be why we never bothered to domesticate chimps.

A cat's face, on the other hand, has almost no ability to mimic human facial expressions. They express their emotions through both their body language and, most especially, their tails. Learn to read a cat's tail and you have a window into its mind.

As much as cats respect themselves, dogs do not. Dogs control man by serving him. Just like the "house ni**er" gained favor by being compliant and eager to please in pre=Civil War plantation times, dogs are all "What can I do to please you, master? Want me to run? Want me to fetch? Want me to catch a frisbee?" And they get us to do things like take them out for a walk two or three times a day.

Then, of course, cats are far better at taking care of themselves. My cat's coat is always immaculately clean and she never ever stinks. I've never noticed her breath. If she were forced to live in the wild, while there are many perils for cats (dogs, coyotes, cars), the one thing that wouldn't happen is starvation. Cats are superb solo hunters and can kill prey up to the size of rabbits. It's a toss-up if a dog would make it in a similar situation. Not without joining a pack, but it takes large prey to feed a pack and probably the only common prey that's large enough is, in fact, people or other dogs...and the occasional cat. But cats are hard to catch because they are quick sprinters and great climbers. If there's a tree or fence nearby, cat will be off the dog's menu that day.

For me, one of the joys of having a cat as a roommate is cat behavior. Cats are into everything. If I had a dog and I did the dishes, my dog would probably lay down at my feet, but my cat insists in participating. She will sit near the sink and her eyes will follow everything I do. When I'm at my computer, she wants to be there on my desk with me, not laying on the floor. Sure, it's annoying when she walks or lays down on my keyboard and gets pissed at me when I try to move her (yes, cats get pissed and resentful in ways dogs never do, even though you are the person who feeds them and cleans their litter box).

Let me receive a UPS delivery and my cat can't wait for me to open it. A dog could care less to find out what's inside. Since what's inside is usually of no particular interest to a cat, that leaves the packing material and box, which is an instant amusement park for a cat.

Oh, and cats don't need their human to play. My cat plays with things like twisty-ties or rolled up paper balls.
She goes nuts once or twice a day and jets around the apartment chasing some imaginary critter. She has a cat tree and she will attack it, clawing it as though it's some large prey item. Then she'll jump to the top and hang upside down from the crow's nest at the top.

Cats are extremely stubborn. Try as I might, she insists on climbing up onto my toaster oven. Of course, I fear she'll do that someday when I'm broiling something in it, and so I chase her off every time I find her there, but she'll be up there again 5 minutes later. I've tried spraying her with water, putting a layer of foil on top, I've even shoved her off it roughly hoping scare her, but it doesn't scare her, it just makes her mad. (BTW, before any cat lover suggests putting double-sided tape on top of the oven, I need to remind them: this is a toaster oven and it gets extremely hot).

So, what do you think about cats?

I could watch a cat all day long.  

Tags: cats, dogs

Views: 532

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

True, but they're still the same species. Canola is still rapeseed, just a highly selectively bred version, much like the delicious yellow corn in your supermarket is in a sense still the same species as that inedible progenitor with ears the size of your thumb.

Rapeseed and canola are not terms to be used interchangeably. Canola was developed from rapeseed through the use of traditional plant breeding techniques. The crops differ with respect to their chemical composition and nutritional quality. Rapeseed oil contains a high proportion of erucic and eicosenoic acids which are not essential for human growth, and render the oil unfit for human consumption. In addition, the protein meal fraction left over after crushing, contains compounds called glucosinolates which inhibit growth in livestock. Conversely, canola oil contains low levels of erucic acid, and has the best nutritional profile of any vegetable oil on the market. Canola meal is also low in glucosinolates which enables it to be used as a nutritious protein source in livestock feed rations. According to the 1986 trademark, canola oil may not contain more than two percent erucic acid, and the solid fraction of the seed may not contain more than 30 micromoles per gram of glucosinolates (Canola Council of Canada Canada’s Canola, 2-3).

How about anything similar to this, turned up side down?

That's a page with many items on it. Do you mean something like a wire tray upside down?

Yeah. I think Amazon often likes to show items only tenuously related to the search term.

In the end, I think the only solution will be to put something on top of it that simply protects her from the heat. Something like an asbestos pad, but not asbestos. Something that insulates very well.

Any chance she is only playing with your head to see how far she can manipulate you? Likely, she and some neighborhood cats have a mouse riding on whether she can get you to some strange accomodation and you're about 1/2 way.....

Our house rabbit has learned that standing with paws against my leg with a sad & pleading expression will influence me to finding an alternative to his breakfast . I usually make oat meal but when tried millet, which I also like, he was pleading for something else. After a few repetitions spaced over a couple of months, he seems to have figured out that I can be influenced as this morning he seems not to have appreciated the brand of oat meal. Here we go....  (VBG)

Rabbits are very, very smart if given the opportunity.

Now this will sound strange but I think it will make sense to cat lovers.  I know a guy who says he learned about reading women's responses to his touch by petting a cat.  Why do I know this?  It is because I asked him, "How do you DO that?" 

Enough said.  (Probably too much said but when will I ever get another chance like this?  This is powerful information.)

You've reminded me of another think I like about cats. They are so sensual. My cat begs to be petted several times a day, and when I pet her, she is obviously in seventh heaven. Then every night she curls up in my lap, grooms herself and sleeps. I love it.

Cats kill birds. Billions of birds.

Dogs can smell cancer. Beat that!

Hmmm, good point about dogs. How does one beat smelling cancer. Maybe it smells much like dog butt?  I've never wondered or tried to sniff a dogs butt, maybe you have, so you got me there.  

I wonder if you realize what a mess bird crap is on your car? So, if you look at things a bit differently, mayhaps the kitteth's are doing us a favor--keeping cars clean.

Methinks that cats could smell cancer too, as they apparently can know when a sick person will soon die, but they don't give a shit about sniffing cancer. That is being too concerned about hoomans and takes time away from licking, so they can't be bothered.

As the saying goes, Dogs have masters, cats have staff. Ask a dog if he wants to go for a ride, take a walk, chase a rabbet and the answer is always "my favorite thing!" Ask a cat and they will take a message and perhaps get back to you. Gotta love that independent nature.

Also, cats smell clean almost all the time, and they have that wonderfully relaxing purrrrrrr, even when they don't feel well--and cats don't bark like my neighbors obnoxious little yapper. That animal constantly shits on my lawn, chews up anything I leave outside, and makes such a racket I can't sleep. Do cats bark...no.  Do cats shit on the lawn...no.  Do cats incessantly chew everything...no. 

I guess I prefer my clean smelling, shit burying, non destructive and quiet cats. The worst they do is want to sleep next to me, lay quietly in my lap, and purrrrrrrrrr.

I have owned dogs too, and loved them as well but I must admit that cats are wonderful lil critters.       

Dogs would kill birds if they were able, but they don't have what it takes. Instead, they kill frisbees.

Cancer-smelling dogs are adding to overpopulation.

Cat Detects Owner's Breast Cancer Before Doctors, Saving Her Life

Call it a sixth sense, a special connection, or just plain mystery. But whatever gift cats and dogs have that allows them to detect health conditions in their owners sure has been saving a lot of lives.

Wendy Humphreys, a mother of two from Britain, found out first-hand how powerful that gift can be when her cat Fidge sniffed out a potentially fatal health condition that even doctors hadn't detected, the Daily Mail reports.

Bewildered at first, Humphreys was compelled to visit a physician after the 10-month-old cat began jumping on her breast and continued to do so for weeks on end.

What doctors found astounded Humphreys: She had a malignant tumor in her breast about the size of a pea that could have metastasized if it hadn't been discovered early. She is now scheduled to undergo chemotherapy and credits Fidge with saving her life, according to the paper.

In 2006, a cat named Oscar confounded experts by "predicting" the deaths of a number of residents at a Rhode Island nursing home. Oscar would begin hanging around people days before they passed away, according to CBS News.

"Oscar is a normal cat with an extra-normal sense for death," Dr. Joan M. Teno, professor of community health at Brown and associate medical director of Home & Hospice Care of Rhode Island, told the Boston Globe. "As a scientist, I want to offer a biological explanation for this," she said. "But I can't." (source)

RSS

Forum

Your kid's friends

Started by Belle Rose in Atheist Parenting. Last reply by GTWilco 6 hours ago. 2 Replies

World conflict and problems other than Israel-Palestine.

Started by Davis Goodman in Small Talk. Last reply by Gallup's Mirror 12 hours ago. 54 Replies

Is Anything Worth Saying Anymore?

Started by Ari E. S. in Small Talk. Last reply by Fragile Nokia 21 hours ago. 5 Replies

Blog Posts

People

Posted by ɐuɐz ǝllǝıuɐp on July 28, 2014 at 10:27pm 4 Comments

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service