Sorry for the strange and slightly out of nowhere discussion, but over the past few months I have had the great privilege of getting to read most of Mr Sagan's books: Cosmos, Pale Blue Dot, Demon Haunted World, Dragons of Eden..., and, the most recent of which, Billions and Billions (yes, I missed Contact, that will be for a time when I can read such a massive book haha). Throughout that whole last book, I was amazed that he was putting together so many social issues that we face still today in some respects and offer up suggestions as to how to approach those problems, all the while dealing with a major disease that I didn't really understand. It wasn't until the last chapter, where he explained what was going on, that suddenly all of the previous chapters hit me. Here he was, a man looking death in the face, and yet he was still offering up ways in which humanity could bring itself back from the brink. I have to say, it was the most emotional I've ever gotten from a book, especially his wife's epilogue. I guess, really, what I'm trying to get at here is, how many of you have read his works? And from that, what have you learned, what have you loved or felt. It's emotional time here at TA, and I just have to say: Thank you Carl Sagan for being the intelligent voice amid rooms full of invisible dragons.

Tags: Blue, Carl, Contact, Cosmos, Dot, Dragons, Eden, Invisible, Pale, Sagan

Views: 122

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I've enjoyed all of his books, and "Cosmos",  Hope his successor Neil DeGrasse Tyson is as good!

RSS

Blog Posts

The tale of the twelve officers

Posted by Davis Goodman on August 27, 2014 at 3:04am 4 Comments

Birthday Present

Posted by Caila Rowe on August 26, 2014 at 1:29am 12 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service