This is not a particularly deep thread, but it seems to me that the prevalence of 'Atheism' with a capital 'A' is growing. 'Atheism' is a common noun, not a proper noun, so in English it should not normally be capitalized (unless it is at the beginning of a sentence). However, for a time I used to hear people referring to 'Big A Atheism' implying additional values ascribed to the term beyond mere lack of belief.

For those who capitalize, is this just just an odd typing habit, or are you implying something by writing 'Atheism' instead of 'atheism'? If the latter, what is your intended meaning?

For the record, I doesn't matter to me that people use one over the other; it's just a point of curiosity as to why. Personally, I prefer it as a common noun indicating nothing more than one very simple statement of disbelief in deities.

Views: 1078

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

If we were to capitalise "atheism" should we do the same to vegetarians, and feminists too?

How about someone atheize capitalism?

@Keith Murphy - If 'we' were to capitalise 'Atheism' should we do the same to Vegetarians and Feminists too?

Yay, now you are getting the idea. If catholics can use a capital C, if islam can use a capital I, I will continue to use a capital A for Atheist, to stand out, in protest, whatever. If you want to be 'real proper', then don't use a capital. Easy really.

I don't care what is 'proper', and that is just me :)

Speech and parts of speech, language, spelling is fluid and evolving every day.

RSS

Forum

Babies Are Not Born Atheists

Started by Ed in Small Talk. Last reply by archaeopteryx 25 minutes ago. 2 Replies

Gideons International

Started by Ed in Small Talk. Last reply by Reg The Fronkey Farmer 1 hour ago. 3 Replies

Draw Muhhamed day was yesterday Bring out your drawings

Started by ThyPlagueDoctor in Small Talk. Last reply by ThyPlagueDoctor 11 hours ago. 4 Replies

Bible Belt Promiscuity

Started by Dante in Advice. Last reply by Dr. Bob 1 hour ago. 11 Replies

am i the only athiest that believes in spirits

Started by Katie Patterson in Small Talk. Last reply by archaeopteryx 22 minutes ago. 33 Replies

Events

Services we love!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

© 2015   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service