This is not a particularly deep thread, but it seems to me that the prevalence of 'Atheism' with a capital 'A' is growing. 'Atheism' is a common noun, not a proper noun, so in English it should not normally be capitalized (unless it is at the beginning of a sentence). However, for a time I used to hear people referring to 'Big A Atheism' implying additional values ascribed to the term beyond mere lack of belief.

For those who capitalize, is this just just an odd typing habit, or are you implying something by writing 'Atheism' instead of 'atheism'? If the latter, what is your intended meaning?

For the record, I doesn't matter to me that people use one over the other; it's just a point of curiosity as to why. Personally, I prefer it as a common noun indicating nothing more than one very simple statement of disbelief in deities.

Views: 824

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

That isn't reductio absurdum. I am explaining why it wasn't addressed, not why it wasn't relevant. I added further explanation as to why it is an irrelevant question.

Semantics - if you don't want to address it then our exchange is done.

It's not semantics. Twice you have impugned me in this thread in that I was being evasive and in employing a logical fallacy to score a point. I'm no saint, but if you're going to say such things they might as well be true.

Spirit? With a capital "S"?

@MikeLong   Absolutely a capital S, in honour of the alcohol it was named after *)

In English, we capitalize proper names even of fictitious or mythological personas. Elmer Fudd, Betty Crocker, Shiva, Dick Tracy, Hercules, Odin. However, the word "atheist" is just an ordinary noun like "plumber," "cat," "cook," "policeman," or "clerk."

I still believe that capitalizing "Atheist" just gives the theists an arguing point, even if it is a stupid one.

And I like arguing with them.

If they try using it on the Spoonheim Buzzsaw well that's a bonus.

Problem is they'll go to some credulous person and use it on them, and maybe convince them that atheism is a religion.

Atheism is anything but common. The question that also could be asked is why write xian instead of christian or Christian. Lack of respect. The English language changes all the time, new words come into being all the time, The English language is not a static item, the same with spelling, just not static.

I always use Atheist, always with a capital, it is my protest, and I don't give a fig that xians call it a religion - just one of the many furphies they love to extoll. Makes no difference to me.

A furphy, also commonly spelled furfie, is Australian slang for a rumour,or an erroneous or improbable story.

"I always use Atheist, always with a capital, it is my protest"

I like that

Goodonya

There is a grammatical reason for capitalizing "Christianity." "Christ" is a proper name, like "Elmer Fudd." You can capitalize "Atheist" if you like, though you'd have a fight on your hands getting it past a professional editor. It's no more a proper name than "taxpayer." 

There actually a non-disrespectful reason for "xian," because "x" is the first letter of "Christ" in greek.

RSS

Blog Posts

People

Posted by ɐuɐz ǝllǝıuɐp on July 28, 2014 at 10:27pm 4 Comments

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service