This is not a particularly deep thread, but it seems to me that the prevalence of 'Atheism' with a capital 'A' is growing. 'Atheism' is a common noun, not a proper noun, so in English it should not normally be capitalized (unless it is at the beginning of a sentence). However, for a time I used to hear people referring to 'Big A Atheism' implying additional values ascribed to the term beyond mere lack of belief.

For those who capitalize, is this just just an odd typing habit, or are you implying something by writing 'Atheism' instead of 'atheism'? If the latter, what is your intended meaning?

For the record, I doesn't matter to me that people use one over the other; it's just a point of curiosity as to why. Personally, I prefer it as a common noun indicating nothing more than one very simple statement of disbelief in deities.

Views: 1162

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

That is extremely succinctly put - lots of applause, Heather.

Merci, danke, et grazie, :D

Ah now that's an aspect of the complaint most people haven't considered I'll bet.

The Russians use Бог, which transliterates to "bog" which looks funny, but is pronounced with a long o, bohg.

Again, however, if you name your dog 'Dog' then it's name is 'Dog' regardless of language.  My Chilean friend, Jorge, didn't start writing his name as 'George' when he arrived in Canada.

So show me the list of equivalent names for Yahweh, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit and we will have a list of names to capitalize - at least in languages that capitalize proper nouns.  Otherwise, show me where Christians made and outright declaration that all three of their gods are one (The Comma Johanneum, as a forgery, doesn't count) and named that god...uhm, what?

I don't know where your friend Saša (pronounced Sasha, I'd expect) is from originally, so this may not be relevant (but I hope it's interesting).

In Russia at least it's "Aleksandr" (Александр) as well, Sasha (Саша) is a diminutive, like you might call "William" "Billy"

I asked a simple question and you've become evasive because you haven't a leg to stand on.  Please cite the passage where Christianity declared all of their gods to be one and then named that new entity?

If your friend's heritage is Serbian, then you are correct Kris.

We are similar to Russians, and most other Slavic nations in this regard. Saša is Sasha, and the full name would be Alexandar (Alexander in English).

The Serbian word for god is the same as the Russian 'Бог'.

Heather is also right, God is not the name, it is a title similar to Emperor, or King. Just a title given to signify the power and status of the deity. Sadly theists seem to forget that, and saying "God damnit" for example, is not using his name in vain, rather his title.

Yes, evasive - they have never named their deities by a single name except by usurping a universal concept in every language through their missionary work.  Yahweh, Jesus, Holy Spirit were never proclaimed to be one and then named anything.

Our language has been usurped, centuries ago, when the existence of Yahweh, Jesus and the Holy Spirit as the only entity constituting a deity was just a 'given'.  It's like 'In god we trust' - tradition does not validate the invasion of one faith into the foundations of a culture not based on that faith.

It's not a proper noun.

Reductio ad absurdium.

"I just don't acknowledge the argument. It's a nonsensical position in relation to mine. The first time through, I actually just glossed it realizing it had no relevance and didn't warrant addressing."

If you don't want to address it, then don't - discussion over.

Semantics - if you don't want to address it then our exchange is done.

Services we love!

© 2015   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service