I just read an article on CBS news which is disgustingly full of deception and lies. 

It is entitled:  "Stephen Hawking bashes religion, but what does new paper say about God?"  Steven Hawking announced that there is no way there could be a creator of the universe.  The article can be found here: 

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504763_162-20089423-10391704.html

Also CBS had another deceptive news cast that made a little black boy appear to want to have a gun and be a criminal when he actually said he wanted to be a police officer but they cut that part out. Of course there is the Rupert Murdoch media empire, all of which I no longer view or take seriously.  The Washington Post is reaching the same lows of Fox News. 

What sources can we trust?  I have a few websites I go to for secular and unbiased news.  Does anyone else feel as if we are being filled with lies more and more and deceptive news? 

Tags: CBS, Fox, Media, Murdoch, News, Rupert, bias

Views: 964

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

If he was acquitted he was acquitted; his freedom of speech was, ultimately, not suppressed.  I'm not entertaining hypothetical technicalities for convictions that never occurred.

But isn't it the fact that he had to go inside of a courtroom to defend himself for what he expressed in itself differentiate our free speech laws of that in parts of Europe?

No.  WBC was taken to court, lost their case, then had to appeal before winning.  Is that really different?

edit: I suppose it's a bit different.  Wilder's case was criminal.  WBC might have been facing a civil suit.

He won and that's all that matters. In general the peoples on the north side of the great Beer-Wine divide is hostile towards religion in general. Islam just makes an easy target because it's stationary.

Side note: Incidentally, burning a flag is the correct way of deposing of it and none really gets offended. If anyone drag flags through the mud, on the other hand....

The WBC were harrassing the families of fallen soldiers at funerals. This is a much different case than expressing free speech on an opinion expressed through a newspaper or media.

You are a funny guy Arcus...and I am still disappointed you haven't watched Sleeper Cell yet...just watch the first 2-episodes and I promise you will be hooked man...it is nothing like that stupid show 24...Sleeper Cell was my favorite TV series I have ever watched...you will LOVE IT...trust me

The WBC were harrassing the families of fallen soldiers at funerals. This is a much different case than expressing free speech on an opinion expressed through a newspaper or media.

It's not different at all.  The reason Wilder's speech was an issue is because it was held as inciting hatred against a specific group.  It wasn't about suppressing his opinions themselves.

First I have to make my way through 'How I met your Mother', which I find to be a highly relatable show. But recently a bit busy (6-8 hr/day) following the debt crisis since it has a substantial impact on my job. Hopefully, when the sun becomes scanter and girls dresses less so, I'll have a bit more free time. Plus, of course, I have 26 paid vacay days I seem unable to use... ;)

"inciting hatred against a specific group."

As far as I recall he's fairly good at separating between criticisms of religion and the religious, though muslims have a tendency to become insulted when held accountable by crimes made in the name of Islam by other muslims. It's kinda like how catholics get offended when we remind them that Hitler was one of them...

As far as I recall he's fairly good at separating between criticisms of religion and the religious...

Which was probably why he was acquitted.

Yes, but in turn the PVV is actually actively suppressing freedom of speech. It has for example successfully pressed their VVD and CDA colleagues for the cancellation of the Willem Arondeus lecture by Thomas van der Dunk on the grounds that they suspected it would be too critical of the PVV.

I don't follow Dutch politics that closely but that is not suppressing free speech - that is simply playing politics.

Ah okay. If the PVV stifles opposition it's playing politics, if it's the other way around it's supporting al Qaida.

RSS

Events

Blog Posts

Labels

Posted by Quincy Maxwell on July 20, 2014 at 9:37pm 28 Comments

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service